Milestone85

Layer Gaps/ Spaces?

Getting tiny layer gaps especially in the handle there, Also notice part is brittle, handle easily breaks. Also see signs of it on the side of the model, tiny holes or gaps near the corners. Whats the issue here?

.2mm layer resolution
3 top layers, 3 side, and 2 bottom layers.
25% infill
PLA (Toybuilderlabs) at 205 degrees
Measured filament diameter at about 1.74
photo 2 (1).JPG
photo 1 (1).JPG
BaronWilliams

Re: Layer Gaps/ Spaces?

Are you printing with a cooling fan on? Without a cooling fan, PLA sometimes warps a bit on very small print areas causing these kinds of problems. On small prints, ABS has this problem much more than PLA does. I always use a cooling fan for both ABS and PLA on the 3rd layer and up. I get better results that way. The cooling fan can cause adhesion problems on the first layer, so I keep it off on layer 1 and 2.
Milestone85

Ill try that, seems to be warping from heat and causing gaps. How did you hook a fan up to yours? I would have to solder & wire it somehow and maybe add a switch to turn it on just after a few layers are printed.
jimmybuckets

205 on PLA is a little to hot. I have found good success at aound 190-195. I am currently printing PLA at 190. Try more cooling and less extuder heat. Also you could try slowing your print down if you are using faster speeds.
wheeler

Hello Milestone
What type of printer? Is it a Bowden type setup? or is the extruder motor on the carriage?
One thing I have come across is with the carriage type extruder and PLA, is the PLA softens with heat and some time the gear that feeds the filament slips.
205 deg C seems a little high for my printers but this does vary between units. You could try dropping the temp down 10deg at a time and do the same print to see if there are changes (in my setup 185deg seem ideal).
Also I have found the stepper motor will heat the gear and help cause the PLA to melt of the filament(maybe a fan on the motor could help a bit) and just maybe the gear engagement it a bit firm or loose (a bet each way)
If it a Bowden type extruder the I think you will find the tube and filament sizes can play merry hell with Fine details and I would suggest that would need to play with your retraction setting.

Hope this helps a bit

Andrew

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”