nror

Slicing Logic

Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:59 am

Hey all.

I'm having trouble with getting a model to slice correctly.

I've put this model through both 3D Builder and Netfabb in an effort to make sure it's print-ready, but whenever I slice the model I end up with areas with detail missing where it seems like logically the program should at least be making an effort to print (particularly the back of the jacket and collar which are solid and contiguous with other things that it has chosen to print). Is there any way to force the application to include these areas even if they're likely to fail?

I suppose that the issue is that two separate pieces are floating relatively close to one another and so only the inner detail is being included and that the model needs to be solid throughout, but I don't know an easy way to accomplish this. The best I've come up with so far is going into Blender and closing the gaps by hand, but that's tedious. Suggestions are welcomed.
Last edited by nror on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dkightley

Re: Slicing Logic

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:08 am

Your image is not displaying!!! And it might be better to attach a factory file as well.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

nror

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:12 pm

Hey Doug,

Thanks for the heads up. The img tag didn't work for some reason so I converted it to a URL.

Attached are the factory files. I think I'm close to cracking the case but would welcome some further refinement.

It seems as though the issue is caused by the walls of that area being too thin, so I enabled single extrusion walls and single extrusion fill in advanced. I have a feeling that this is going to create a pretty flimsy material that isn't going to suit what I'm looking for, but at least the slicer is now including about 99% of the model.

There are still some little details of the model missing like the fronts of the boots. I've played with lowering the minimum extrusion percentage and increasing the overlap. Would simply scaling the model up help? Attached are two factory files, one for the model without thin walls and fill enabled and one with.

Thanks!
Last edited by nror on Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horst.w

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:35 am

... better than nothing but not good ...

horst.w
GER
The Magic.jpg

nror

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:35 pm

I was able to get this figured out. Enabling thin walls helped, but I was finally able to get my head around the appropriate tools in Blender to close up gaps and thicken the areas that had details omitted (join edge loops and solidify faces, for those that may be in the same boat). Scaling the model up was also necessary to be able to resolve the finer details of the model. Thanks for the help all.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”