themonet

Linux Login Issues

Hey guys,

SUPER Linux newbie here. Running an old mac that I installed Ubuntu on solely as my 3d printing computer. Trying to get Simplify 3D up and running on it, and I think I'm so close but I've been stumped. I installed it (In the directory shown in my terminal copy paste below) and it will run okay (either from the terminal or from the directory) . However as soon as I try to login with my account, the login screen just disappears, and nothing happens. When I run it in Terminal, this is what it looks like:

root@chris-iMac:/opt/Simplify3D-4.1.2# ./Simplify3D
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

[1]+ Stopped ./Simplify3D
root@chris-iMac:/opt/Simplify3D-4.1.2#

Any ideas what's going on? Like I said, totally new here, so there might just be something I'm missing. Thanks!
S3D-Alex

Re: Linux Login Issues

The easiest way to open Simplify3D on your Linux machine is to open a Terminal and cd to the installation directory. Then type the following command:

sudo ./LaunchScript.sh

This ensures that Simplify3D will be able to correctly access the serial port for your printer and will have the necessary permissions for saving your application preferences.
smo

Re: Linux software starting issues

I have exactly the same problem. Starten the Launchscript with root privileges does _NOT_ help in this case. It's not about accessing the serial port the printer is connected to. I guess it's about either QT Libraries and/or openSSL Library.

I was trying to get help on this by the support, but I got only the same, useless answer. Sorry for being honest.

BTW. it's an bad idea to tell the customers to run the application with root privileges. Better way is to tell the customer how to change privileges on the device permanently, using udev rules. But anyway, this is another chapter.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”