cj11363

License issues make Simplify3D unusable

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:12 pm

I've migrated from a Mac desktop to a linux laptop ( which has not been without some ongoing challenges ) and I'm constantly having to reset the s3d license on my linux machine. After some arbitrary number of resets, I get a message telling me that I've done to many resets and that I need to contact support before I can reset a license again.

I am not the first person to experience this problem. I've found several posts in this forum, going back to Aug 2015, describing the same problem.

So, it's the weekend and I'm doing some 3d printing. I'm almost finished with a long project and I need to tweak my design a bit and then, hopefully, print my final parts. Except that I can no longer use the slicer that I've painstakingly configured. Think about that for a moment. I can not use a product that I paid for because of a flaw in the way that the product's license is enforced, and this flaw has existed for at least 4-1/2 years.

I used several other slicers before settling on Simplify3d, and I've been using it long enough to have upgraded and paid for another license. I did switch to Cura for a bit ( when I bought a Luzbot Taz 6), which Cura is probably where I'm headed again. For me, it's is almost as useful as s3d. Actually, at the moment, a properly configured Cura install would be infinitely more useful to me than s3d.

And therein lies the rub, so to speak. If I once again go through the effort of configuring Cura for both of my printers, and tweaking and maintaining it's settings for my filaments and workflow, it's doubtful that I'll ever use Simplify 3d again. It's just not worth the hassle of being shut out of my workflow. All of which makes me wonder how the company manages to compete...

-- slicerless in Nashville

arhi

Re: License issues make Simplify3D unusable

Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:33 pm

check what changes with your linux when your licence is not working ... are the MAC addresses of your interfaces changing? your server ssh key ( /etc/ssh/ssh_host_* ) ? are you using mdraid? any other raid? ... is that a linux on bare metal or inside some vm?
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

cj11363

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:06 am

The only change was switching from a Mac to Linux. Bare metal, no raid. Doubt that the mac address is changing, though I suppose that it can't hurt to check. It is a multi-homed host ( Wifi and wired ethernet ), so it does have multiple mac addresses. I have noticed that, out of the box, Ubuntu 18.04 derivatives do not play well with my local DNSmasq server, but linking /etc/resolv.conf to /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf cleared that up.

I've been trying different linux distros in an attempt to find one that suits me, so my laptop does have multiple bootable linux partitions. I've been mounting the same /home partition in all of the boot environments, which simplifies the process of testing different distros. I've been able to install some of my apps ( i.e.: OpenSCAD, Bitwarden and Moneydance ) in /home, but Simplify3D does not play well in that configuration.

I've been struggling to turn my linux laptop into a stable replacement for my old Mac desktop. The laptop is currently "grounded" in my office, with a docking station, external 4K monitor and both wifi and wired ethernet ( wired is set to a higher priority ). I have pixel doubling set in the desktop environments and have experienced a lot of problems that seem related to the graphics driver. I recently tracked down a couple of work-arounds for a bug that prevented me from disabling sleep/suspend, and stability is much improved.

I have no clue as to how Simplify3d does DRM, and I can no longer reset my licenses, so I have no way to troubleshoot this problem.

I'm making some significant changes to my current project and will most likely spend the rest of the day, and perhaps even part of tomorrow, on my designs. If I there's no way forward with Simplify3d by the time I'm ready to start printing again, then I'll SIMPLY ( actually not so simple, but couldn't resist the pun ) replace S3D with Cura.

S3D-Alex

Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am

Please contact us at Support@Simplify3d.com so we can assist you with any DRM related issues you may experience.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”