Syafiq

Scaling on surface

Hi all

I've been wracking my mind and spent a good 20 hours now to get my issue solved.
I currently trying to print something using transparent material.
So i have been doing some test print ( 5 min print job) to see if all my setting are perfect before starting for the actual product.
I attached some printing sample and my FFF setting to further explain my problem.

If you see on the right ( transparent material) , you can see the surface kinda look scaly but it is actually very smooth since
i print directly to the glass surface without any raft, only some skirt to ensure my extruder are properly prime and full of of material before printing.
It is less obvious on colored print.

This issue drove my superior mad :roll: ..hehe.
Obviously he understand the limit of FDM printer and everything but at least if i can replicate the surface finish of normal PLA it will be good enough.
This is means normal long lines and everything, not this scaly appearance.

I created my profile for transparent material by directly copying my PLA profile ( work perfectly and no scale)
and changed some of the parameters.
All using extruder 1.

Nozzle Temperature : 215c --> 230c
Bed Temperature : 20c --> 50c
External Fill pattern : Concentric
Printing speed : range from 1000 mm/min to 2200 mm/min
Extrusion multiplier : range from 0.97 --> 1
Layer height : 0.3 mm

The filament I'm using as below link
http://3dgadgets.my/pla-series/851-magm ... inous.html

I already leveled my bed twice now + cleaned the glass bed multiple time using water and Isopropyl alcohol and let it properly dry
before starting printing process.

Is there any thing i messed up or there is something wrong with my extruder?
My current diagnosis and yet to be tested is my temperature is too high.
Attachments
IMG_20200121_145832 - Copy.jpg
Magbot DE10 Transparent PLA (test).fff
(15.75 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Ret

Re: Scaling on surface

If the "scaling" is on the side that touches the bed, your nozzle is ever so slightly too close to your bed. Increase the distance and that'll go away.
Syafiq

Re: Scaling on surface

Ret wrote: If the "scaling" is on the side that touches the bed, your nozzle is ever so slightly too close to your bed. Increase the distance and that'll go away.
Hi
I followed your recommendation and it works perfectly.
Thanks for the advise.

I'm currently doing some offset calibration to ensure all my measurement and appearance are OK.
Once this complete, i will start on printing my product.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”