cj11363

dealing with DRM woes

Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:16 pm

TL;DR : Is anybody out there using both Simplify3D and Cura, and if so, how do you handle synchronizing settings across the two slicers ?

Let me start by saying that I really like Simplify3d. I've tried several different slicers, and s3d works best for me. Having said that, for me, s3d actually no longer works.

I've recently migrated from a Mac desktop to linux ( Elementary OS, Juno, an Ubuntu 18.04 derivative ) and DRM issues have prevented me from using S3D for the last 4 days. When I try to start Simplify3d it hangs. More specifically:

charlie@charlie-Precision-7740:~$ /opt/Simplify3D-4.1.2/Simplify3D

[1]+ Stopped /opt/Simplify3D-4.1.2/Simplify3D
charlie@charlie-Precision-7740:~$ fg
/opt/Simplify3D-4.1.2/Simplify3D
^C

These s3d hangs have been a common occurrence since I started this Mac to linux transition, and my "fix" was to go to my simplify3d account page , deactivate the license for my linux machine, and then re-install s3d. Apparently I've exceeded a limit on deactivation's and now I'm locked out of deactivating licenses ( and there's a license for a Windows machine I no longer own that I'd really like to deactivate, sigh... ). Does anyone know if being locked out of deactivating licenses is a lifetime ban, or will this functionality eventually be restored ?

When I reached out to support@simplify3d about my inability to run Simplify3d, they deactivated my linux license ( thank you ) and pointed me to a "special" version of the linux installer which is supposed to solve my problem. However, the instructions I received start with exporting my profiles before running the special installer, and obviously I can't export my profiles if I can't start S3d. sigh....

In searching the forums it looks like the problem I'm experiencing, or one very much like it, has existed for at least 4 1/2 years and I'm hoping that somebody on this forum can offer guidance on how they've handled DRM issues.

I used Simplify3d for years on a Mac and never had any DRM isssues ( and I am regretting my recent Dell/linux purchase, but that's another story...). I think that my particular issue is linux related, but perhaps not?

What seems clear to me is that I can no longer depend on Simplify3D as my only slicer solution. I've managed to install and configure Cura for one of my printers, and for a single filament. It needs a bit of tweaking, but at least I'm able to continue with my current project.

However, I've spent a bit of time tweaking Simplify3d for my workflow and I'd REALLY like to get at the information in my S3d profiles, particularly my start scripts. I do have profiles that I exported a couple of months ago, when I first started migrating from OSX to linux, so worst case is that I might be able do a fresh install of S3d and start over from there. Not optimal, but it could be worse.

thanks,
--Charlie

arhi

Re: dealing with DRM woes

Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:12 pm

cj11363 wrote:
like to get at the information in my S3d profiles, particularly my start scripts.
I was able to extract some data from windows registry but I doubt that can help with mac/linux version :( no clue where they store the data or how, BUT, ALL your data about profile used to create GCODE is stored in the GCODE file itself, at the begining of the file in comments... so if you have saved any of your GCODE files you can extract all the data (including start scripts) from the GCODE files itself ... so get your gcodes from your sdcard and .. it will be some manual work but you can easily extract them from gcode and into ideamaker or, if you so desire, cura

e.g.

Code: Select all

; G-Code generated by Simplify3D(R) Version 4.1.2
; Jan 8, 2020 at 11:16:42 PM
; Settings Summary
;   processName,Process1
;   applyToModels,N8
;   profileName,PETG (modified)
;   profileVersion,2019-11-05 14:21:32
;   baseProfile,Default
;   printMaterial,PETG
;   printQuality,High
;   startingGcode,M17,G28,G28 Z,M200 D0,,
;   endingGcode,M104 S0,M140 S0,
the scripts use "comma" to replace new line, so

startingGcode,M17,G28,G28 Z,M200 D0,,
converts to start code that's:

M17
G28
G28 Z
M200 D0
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

cj11363

Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:58 am

Very nice. I hadn't thought about using the gcode to extract profile information ( "use the source Luke" :) ).

Support got me up and running again with Simplify3d, but there may be a way that I can use gcode to sync some simplify 3d profiles with Cura...

thanks!
/cj

S3D-Jake

Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 pm

arhi wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:12 pm
cj11363 wrote:
like to get at the information in my S3d profiles, particularly my start scripts.
I was able to extract some data from windows registry but I doubt that can help with mac/linux version :( no clue where they store the data or how.....
They should be in XML format on linux and mac in the following locations respectively.

Linux: $HOME/.config/Simplify3D/S3D-Software.conf
Mac OS: /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/com.Simplify3D.S3D-Software.plist
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

arhi

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:11 pm

S3D-Jake wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:57 pm
They should be in XML format on linux and mac in the following locations respectively.
that's perfect :)
easier to extract than from registry :)
cj11363 wrote: sync some simplify 3d profiles with Cura...
yeah should be possible to write plugin for other slicers to import s3d settings from gcode file

also @S3D-Jake could get their developer to implement feature in s3d to import ideamaker/cura/prusaslicer/slic3r... profile directly into s3d too
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”