dreyfusduke

First solid layer trouble

Is it just me, or does the first solid layer (either on a raft, or no raft) looks like its just a junky infill? Printing on a Flashforge Creator Pro and I have tried all kinds of setting and 100% infill. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the first layer and top layer look almost see-thru. :cry:
wheeler

Re: First solid layer trouble

Hello dreyfusduke
It would be great to see a photo of the problem but here is an idea or two that may help.
Not sure but just maybe you have the bed to close to the nozzle. What happens if you drop the bed down a bit (does it get a bit thicker and stick better).
If you hear a clicking noise on the bottom layer it may mean the flow flow of plastic is restricted see above.
Other reasons may be the setting in the Raft section of the Layer tab if you are using a raft (I think the raft is a cheats way to get over bed leveling correct "I CHEAT") if you lay a raft down you will not have to worry as much as the first layer the ones above the base will then level and flow nicely.
Other reasons maybe to do with your heated bed temperature and the type of surface. If it is glass then lots of people swear by hair spray - I like water down PVA glue dabbed on while the bed heats up or a glue stick that kids use in school this seems to work for me with PLA and ABS I like my heat beds at 105-115 for ABS (drop it a bit if you use watered down PVA glue say 85-95).
Blue tape (and some cheap white/cream/green or orange work just as well) just experiment and when you find a cheap tape buy some extra and then let us all know, I like the 3m stuff but get ripped off blind by my local hardware store, I love the $2 dollar shop across the road but I can never get the same product week to week) with a waxy surface also works the first layer seems to melt into the surface. For me this is good with PLA.
Cheap fake carbon fiber wrap (textured vinyl is great with PVA glue and a cold bed) seems to go great with PLA and I have got some small jobs working with ABS on a cold bed just clean the vinyl with acetone first to clean off the silicon wax on it when new. This give a great effect on the base (looks good).
We all know how hard it is to get that first layer right but when we get it is fantastic and you got 80% of the problem under control (don't give up)

Andrew

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”