Legionis

Fixing broken STL File

Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:24 am

Hello,

im not quite sure whether this is the right forum but I give it a shot.
My brother wanted me to print a model of his wifes car (Opel Corsa model C).
Unfortunately the STL File he sent me (attached) is broken in simplify for me and all my efforts of flipping normals in simplify or edditing the shell in fusion360 did not really work. I only want the outer shell to be printet, without all of the interiour.

Does anyone have some tips or suggestions on what I can do to achieve this?
I did not find any other models of this car in the internet, so this is all I have unfortunately.

Greetings
Lukas
Attachments
Mesh.step.stl
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 16 times

horst.w

Re: Fixing broken STL File

Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:43 pm

Hi

from where you have downloaded the Corsa?
There is a model in www.thingiverse.com what is running well for me. The only one complication, it is nearly not visible when opened in S3D. Select the models name in the left window and chose Edit > Drop Model to Table; than you can scale it unlimited.

Your file seems corrupted, origin it may be an step-file, transformed to stl. My CAD program can't open it, the messages is Unknown Characters found.

horst.w
GER

dkightley

Re: Fixing broken STL File

Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:37 pm

The file contains something like 300 separate meshes that appear to be all jumbled up together. There are internal details and lots of faces that are defined inconsistently for a 3D printer to be able to touch. I think it was originally designed to be rendered in a 3D graphics engine...and not for 3D printing

I can get it somewhere near to a solid model that might print....but there's a hell of a lot of corruption to the door windows...and the wheels have lost their spokes. If you are on Windows 10, load the stl into the Windows App 3DBuilder and let it repair it.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”