Dave

[FIXED] Bridging bug

As a new S3D user (and generally happy with the product), I sliced a model that contained a bridge for the first time over the weekend. The bridge was over the top of a square hole in a wall (i.e. a 3mm wall has a horizontal 15mm square hole in it). My printer is able to bridge quite long distances (easily handles 15mm), but to do so in ABS requires the bridging layer to be printed very slowly otherwise the extruded plastic usually breaks and curls up, often catching on the nozzle later and ruining the whole print. So I set the bridging parameter to a very slow speed. S3D correctly detected the bridge and used straight slow infill paths over the gap, but failed to change the speed for the perimeters. The perimeters are obviously just as much bridging moves as the infill, and so should conform to the bridging parameters (speed and fan) - but they don't. On my print the infill bridged perfectly but the perimeters broke as I knew they would at full print speed. Therefore this is a bug. I have reported it to S3D support, but wonder if anyone could suggest a workaround until the bug is (hopefully) fixed.

Dave
andre

Re: Bridging bug

I am concerned about this as well. Bridge layer should include anything that is printed, including perimeters.
Alex Borro

This is an issue that bores me as well.
pbmax

I've seen the same thing, and also contacted support. Perimeters never get the bridging modifications applied to them, regardless of "unsupported area threshold". Solid infill over open space bridges fine, but perimeters are ignored. Fix please? :)
Brotron

Bummer, I'm having this issue while trying to calibrate bridging with a new active cooling duct.

Please fix!

Also noticing that the second layer perimeter doesn't respond to the same speed adjustments as the other perimeters, and looks to be set at the same speed color as my offending bridge perimeter... speed adjustments triggering after perimeter?

Attaching screen shot of slice preview.
Attachments
BridgingSpeed.jpg
CPA

nothing has changed in 3.0.1

Is there a workaround for this issue?

please fix.

Thank You.
CleverCoder

I wonder if this is why I keep on failing at getting good bridges. After seeing this thread, I looked at the visualization to see the speed used for bridging. I've set the extrusion multiplier to 75% and speed to a whopping 5%!! Looking at the preview, it appears that the edges of the bridged section are running at 'normal' speed, and not honoring my speed settings. What the heck?! Attaching a screenshot. Using a FlashForge Creator Pro with ABS.

pbmax

Yep, that's the bug - bridging overrides aren't applied to perimeters. Please contact S3D support and tell them you'd like this fixed! Hopefully the more people contact them the more likely they'll be to fix it.
MikaMa

I'm facing this bug also. I also noticed that the first bridging layer is not affected by fan speed override. Problems I have

1) bridge perimeters print at wrong speed = brake when nozzle hit's them cuz of curling.
2) bridging fan speed overrides do not affect the 1st bridge layer.

I will report this
toudi

+1 (or more like +10k) to fix this issue!

I also have problems with bridgning: permimiters are not marked as bridges in the gcode preview. This causes terrible sags.
Tried all the knobs in bridge section but it will not work prperly. Tested with 3dbenchy model an some bridging tests.

as you can see from the image, the perimiters are not marked as briges. and they are printed first!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”