DotScott1

Bridging Extra Inflation Distance Does Nothing?

Hey all,

I've been searching for a little while and doing several tests but I can't seem to find the answer... In Cura, the equivalent of Bridging "Extra Inflation Distance" will inset the bridging to where it actually extends INTO (beyond the walls of) the print parameters which results in much better bridging. However, in Simplify3D, this features seems to do absolutely nothing at all. I've set the Extra inflation distance to 0 and I've set it up to 4mm - results in slicer seem to be exactly the same and the results in the actual print seem to be exactly the same. This setting appears to do nothing at all :( It always just barely touches the parameter resulting in sub-par bridging.

I've attached images to illustrate what I'm talking about. S3D in blue and yellow and Cura in yellow and red.

Is there a way to achieve this in S3D (without completely remodeling the STL)?
Attachments
Annotation 2020-04-13 115644.jpg
92717343_180005612984043_2678753222566346752_n.png
dkightley

Re: Bridging Extra Inflation Distance Does Nothing?

On the left, Extra Inflation Distance = 0....on the right, Extra Inflation Distance= 2mm
Bridging_Test.jpg
Nothing else to add, really....other than "Oh, yes it does!"

Now what's your real problem?
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
DotScott1

Thanks for answering - I figured it out. It appears that Cura has another way of allowing extra overlap where S3D requires some certain amount of perimeter in order for it to work. I will say that the Cura method does work much better on bridging. It basically extends the bridging into the perimeters of the print even if there are a limited number of perimeters. It appears to do this by possibly extruding slightly less over the parts where the perimeters are - not sure.

Either that or S3D only seems to do it over infill and not perimeters.

It did work in S3D after I modified the actual model to be thicker though. Just a shame that I had to do that for S3D but Cura handled the original just fine.
JKnott

I've been having some problems with bridging too, but I think you could accomplish what you are seeking by enabling "Apply bridging settings to perimeters" This will allow bridging to overlap perimeter sections which will give you more surface area for the inflation distance to cover.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”