BubbleDeluxe21

Consistent layer shift with second extruder used for support/infill

Hi Community

I have a new Flashforge Creator 3 with independent dual extruders. Setup went seamlessly, I was able to print with both extruders separately and combined almost perfectly out of the box. As long as I use multiple processes and only one extruder per process, it's working like a charm. I came across a very weird and specific issue though when I tried to print supports with a different material.

When I specify to use the second extruder in the same process (for supports or infill), i get a consistent layer shift as soon as the second extruder starts to be involved. The shift happens always at layer change and for both extruders exactly the same. Meaning they'll print perfectly aligned to each other but shifted along the Y-axis (towards the back of the build plate) by about 0.5mm. This keeps adding up with every layer.

I initially tried printing PVA supports. When troubleshooting I tried using the second extruder with PLA for infill. The first layers, when only one extruder is needed, come out perfect. As soon as the infill starts and the second extruder comes into play, the shift starts happening with every additional layer.

Here are some pictures for reference:

Good print with multiple processes:
Multiple Processes.jpeg
Layer shift with supports using 2nd extruder:
Support Layer Shift.jpeg
Layer shift with infill using 2nd extruder:
Infill Layer Shift.jpeg
Does anyone have an idea how this very specific issue is caused and how it can be fixed? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!
BubbleDeluxe21

Re: Consistent layer shift with second extruder used for support/infill

I have looked into it a bit more and started analyzing the tool change script, as I figure the offset has to come from there somehow. I did some trial and error with the script, but so far to no avail.

Here's the G-code of the tool change process (from the actual print file, not from the script settings) and a video of the process. There is a distinct clunk sound right before the nozzles start wiping, seems like that might be the issue, but i have no idea where it's coming from and how I can fix it...

G-code:

Code: Select all

G1 X3.595 Y-3.872 E7.5489
G92 E0.0000
G92 E0 ; zero old extruder
G1 E-4.0000 F1800
M108 T1 ; change to new extruder
G92 E0 ; zero new extruder
G1 E3.5000 F1800 ; prime
G1 Y0 F4000 ; confirm Y centered
G1 Y50 F4000 ; wipe
G1 Y0 F4000 ; wipe
G1 Y50 F4000 ; wipe
G1 X9.242 Y-15.240 F4800
G92 E0.0000
G1 X15.240 Y-9.242 E0.4571 F1080
G1 X15.240 Y9.242 E1.4530
Video (careful, loud!):
Y-Axis Shift.mp4
(2.26 MiB) Downloaded 136 times
BubbleDeluxe21

I am really struggling with this one, I'm desperate for some advice. Does anybody have any idea what could cause this?

I installed S3D from scratch on a different laptop, reloaded the stock profile and didn't change anything except layer width, temperature and Z-Offset (because the printer auto-levels way too close to the bed). The layer shift and the clunk/skip of the Y-axis keep happening. As mentioned, with the Flashprint Software from Flashforge it works perfectly, so it has to be something within S3D. Any ideas, hints, pointers, anything?
BubbleDeluxe21

Update for the sake of documentation: I figured out that the issue only started with firmware version 1.2.2, everything works fine on version 1.1.0. I told this to my support contacts of S3D and Flashforge, hopefully they can come up with a fix.

I will keep updating in this thread as I find out more.
Rikests

I am having the same issue with my creator3 printers. It is very frustrating, because Flashprint doesnt do this. I also get the loud steper noise when switching tools, also running the 1.2.2 firmware

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”