nkuck

Dual Extruder Printing Questions

Wed May 13, 2020 12:42 pm

Trying to print my first dual color print with S3D on my A10M with Marlin 2.0. So far, not too successful. The printing is terrible, with one color sometimes printing and the other one spitting out drabs or nothing at all. Seems to typically be what I will assume is a clog in the Hotend. Not sure if this is a Marlin issue or S3D. I have setup Marlin with 2 extruders, left the //#define SINGLENOZZLE disabled and, and enabled #define MIXING_EXTRUDER (if I disable this, I get Build errors). Where do I need to look and what needs to be changed. FYI, I have replaced the Geeetech Hotend with a different 2IN-1OUT nozzle.

Telson

Re: Dual Extruder Printing Questions

Mon May 18, 2020 5:17 pm

If you have a 2 in 1 out hot end you need to use #define SINGLENOZZLE and not Mixing Extruder.
With Single Nozzle, only one filament drive is engaged at a time, and each needs to retract before the next filament can be loaded and begin purging and extruding. Like the E3D Cyclops

A Mixing Extruder uses two or more stepper motors to drive multiple filaments into a mixing chamber to make a different colour. Red and blue make Green etc.

Using #define EXTRUDERS 2 and #define SINGLENOZZLE should rectify your issue..

Telson

nkuck

Tue May 19, 2020 1:36 pm

That is what I had selected. See attachment.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 1.33.53 PM.png

Telson

Wed May 20, 2020 2:27 am

So Marlin sounds to be setup correctly, need a bit more information to narrow the problem down for you.

What make and model of hotend are you using?
What are your retraction settings? Speed, distance etc
What filament are you feeding into the shared nozzle? PLA, PLA+, ABS, a mixture etc,
What temperature and speed are you printing at?

Telson

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”