arhi
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:27 pm

edit registry, delete all "Geometry" key's under Simplify3D tree (curent user/software/simplify3d )
try to start, usually that solves the problem

to prevent from problem happening again, change your envinronment variables, set:

QT_OPENGL=angle

that should prevent the nvidia opengl driver but from preventing S3D to start
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

peanut
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:00 am

Removing the registry keys works.

Alternatives:
- Switch to another computer if you have one
- Switch to a different Software (like Cura) which actually works and gets updated :)

arhi
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:09 pm

peanut wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:00 am
Removing the registry keys works.
you are probably running multi monitor and have nvidia card. this is opengl driver bug on nvidia :(
every time you leave the s3d on the "non primary" monitor it will fail to start next time (till you remove those keys so it starts on the primary monitor)

the solution is to use the "QT_OPENGL=angle" envinronment variable so that s3d qt library use the angle open gl driver that does not use opengl at all but translates opengl to directx avoiding nvidia bug

You will, unfortunately, have the same issue with both prusa slicer and ideamaker (probbly with cura too I can't test, I don't use cura) as you will with most of the apps using gl trying to enable doublebuffering on non-primary screen
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

parallyze
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:00 am

arhi wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:09 pm
peanut wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:00 am
Removing the registry keys works.
you are probably running multi monitor and have nvidia card. this is opengl driver bug on nvidia :(
every time you leave the s3d on the "non primary" monitor it will fail to start next time (till you remove those keys so it starts on the primary monitor)
Just a note:
peanut very early in the post mentioned having a "white window" - not the window being off-screen. The keys you've mentioned (geometry) do handle this for the main app and some other qwidgets (MultiProcessDialog and such). And you're absolutely right about deleting the geometry keys to reset window size/positions.

But this does not affect acceleration mode/open gl driver.
arhi wrote: edit registry, delete all "Geometry" key's under Simplify3D tree (curent user/software/simplify3d )
try to start, usually that solves the problem
The only way this would affect the gl driver/graphics settings would be deleting the hive and not just the geometry keys inside. Which
makes me wonder:
peanut wrote:Removing the registry keys works.
What keys did you delete? As there's now multiple problems in this thread it would be great to have some details on this... ^^
if you deleted S3D-Software (or it's sub hives) completely then everything would reset to defaults. Or did you delete
the geometry keys, all of them (inside MainWindow, SplitProcessDialog, MultiProcessDialog and so on), one by one?

peanut
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:46 pm

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:27 am

Uninstralling and reinstalling S3D did not work. The registry keys are not deleted during the uninstal process.

Other Applications like Cura and Slicer work properly, no matter what screen I use them on.

I deleted all the S3D registry keys, not just the geometry ones (becuase I tried deleting the keys before I saw the post here on the forum). So I'm not sure which key was the "bad" one... and I can't reproduce the issue anymore (no matter what monitor I place S3D on).

parallyze
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:36 am

peanut wrote: I deleted all the S3D registry keys, not just the geometry ones (becuase I tried deleting the keys before I saw the post here on the forum). So I'm not sure which key was the "bad" one... and I can't reproduce the issue anymore (no matter what monitor I place S3D on).
Ah, okay. So it could be both... :D

Didn't encounter problems yet using S3D on multi monitor setups using nvidia gpus (except when selecting compatiblity mode to test this). Crossing fingers it keeps working for you. :)

arhi
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:13 pm

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:39 am

parallyze wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:00 am
The only way this would affect the gl driver/graphics settings would be deleting the hive and not just the geometry keys inside.

I debugged this sh*t a lot so ... the issue is not only with s3d, the simplest way to reproduce it for me was with prusaslicer and since I have a source of that one...

The problem happens when you try to open a glwindow on non primary screen. When you open it on primary screen you can move it anywhere and it will work, but opening on non primary screen fails.

So to reproduce you just open a canvas on non primary screen and call wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers(); this is pushed down directly to tne opengl driver call to swapbuffers and that's a call that will never end leaving you with WHITE screen as glcanvas was not initialized.

by deleting geometry keys s3d will start from the main/primary screen and there the wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers(); works ok.

Take your s3d window and move it off primary screen. Close the s3d. Start it and it remembered you left it off-screen and will try to start there and you will have a white window.

If you do not use opengl but replacement api "angle" that's using directx you avoid the problem. You let QT know to use angle by using QT_OPENGL=angle env variable

There's a number of apps suffering from this bug. The problem is that this bug does not hit "all nvidia cards" and "all windows 10 installations". It has something to do with windows 10 multimonitor support, I seen bunch of ppl with win10 nvidia card same driver version as me without this bug, and I seen a bunch of ppl with different nvidia card but also windows 10 and multimonitor setup that has this bug... but anyone experiencing it, it's experiencing it all the time and in all apps that are creating glcanvas when they are creating it on the non-primary screen
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence

parallyze
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:18 am

Re: Simplify not starting after Windows 10 update

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:02 am

arhi wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:39 am
parallyze wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:00 am
The only way this would affect the gl driver/graphics settings would be deleting the hive and not just the geometry keys inside.
I debugged this sh*t a lot so ... the issue is not only with s3d, the simplest way to reproduce it for me was with prusaslicer and since I have a source of that one...

The problem happens when you try to open a glwindow on non primary screen. When you open it on primary screen you can move it anywhere and it will work, but opening on non primary screen fails.

So to reproduce you just open a canvas on non primary screen and call wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers(); this is pushed down directly to tne opengl driver call to swapbuffers and that's a call that will never end leaving you with WHITE screen as glcanvas was not initialized.

by deleting geometry keys s3d will start from the main/primary screen and there the wxGLCanvas::SwapBuffers(); works ok.

Take your s3d window and move it off primary screen. Close the s3d. Start it and it remembered you left it off-screen and will try to start there and you will have a white window.

If you do not use opengl but replacement api "angle" that's using directx you avoid the problem. You let QT know to use angle by using QT_OPENGL=angle env variable
Still all this doesn't affect what I've said:

If someone deletes the complete hive you can't say if it was the positioning/geometry keys _OR_ the selected graphics/acceleration mode. Because both settings are reset in that case.

While a white window may indicate the problem you've identified it may have been another problem caused by the selected acceleration mode. So unless somebody tries changing/resetting one setting after another you simply can't tell for sure.

If I select Compatibility mode using the old nvidia drivers I can get the white window-effect when there's not even a seconday screen attached to the machine at all. So there's only a primary screen available, still it looks exactly like the problem you described...

(Note: While the main window is all white you can still activate the menus by either clicking or using shortcuts)
Attachments
s3d_acc-mode_2.JPG
Compatibility Mode / REG_DWORD 2
s3d_acc-mode_0.JPG
Automatic Mode / REG_DWORD 0

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”