sinabu

No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:29 am

Hey everyone, I could use a bit of help with a model I purchased to print. Simplify3d is not generating supports for it.

The Model https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/saber-toothed-tiger
I have a Creality CRS-10 Pro
Simplify 3D 4.1.2

Printing on the High Quality setting with Supports, I tried default settings and also tried lowering the Support Pillar Resolution and tried 1mm and 2mm and Angle but I am not able to get any supports to show up for this model. Help please! :)
Default.PNG

dkightley

Re: No supports generating

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Probably worth you having a read of this:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti ... tructures/

With such large flat angled surfaces underneath, it looks as if you need to create the supports manually. No quick fix, I'm afraid!...you'll need to learn how to do things for yourself.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

sinabu

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:24 pm

FlashPrint handled the supports fine for it so figured S3D should be able to auto generate some. I'll keep digging around

parallyze

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi,
sinabu wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:29 am
Quality setting with Supports, I tried default settings and also tried lowering the Support Pillar Resolution and tried 1mm and 2mm
and Angle but I am not able to get any supports to show up for this model. Help please! :)
looks like you've posted on Cults3D but forgot to mention this issue here:
"unable to get it to generate supports and the model looks corrupted and missing chunks of the model. "
If there's problems with the model file this might cause the problems with support generation. Sadly this is a paid model,
so posting the factory file would probably violate license terms....

Cults3D is suffering heavy load currently, timeouts everywhere. Wonder if that's caused by the giant star wars ship posted
there recently... xD

If you'd like to you can take another object to test for support generation. I've posted a cleaned up model on Cults3D a while
ago: https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/ali ... post-fixed

Try the head or boots, see if support generation does it's job there. Or go ahead and check the bought model file using NetFabb
for errors.

sinabu

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Yeah their site seems to be having issues. I can't get to your link. I grabbed a similar model from thingivsere and the supports generate fine, I've done a few dozen prints since purchasing S3D and this is the front one I've run across with issues.

When you look at the ready to print it looks correct so I am not sure if it's just S3D or what. It looked correct in Slic3r and FlashPrint on my friends machine loads and does supports fine as well. It's just S3D having the issues.
Model.PNG
sliced.PNG

sinabu

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:53 pm

Here is the Alita Head with supports in S3D
Alita Head.PNG

parallyze

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 pm

sinabu wrote:
It looked correct in Slic3r and FlashPrint on my friends machine loads and does supports fine as well. It's just S3D having the issues.
S3D is not very happy about broken models, that's true... if you happen to use Slic3r, can you take a look at the status in the
bottom right corner after importing the model? Does it say something about auto-repair?

sinabu

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:37 pm

parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:34 pm
sinabu wrote:
It looked correct in Slic3r and FlashPrint on my friends machine loads and does supports fine as well. It's just S3D having the issues.
S3D is not very happy about broken models, that's true... if you happen to use Slic3r, can you take a look at the status in the
bottom right corner after importing the model? Does it say something about auto-repair?
I don't see anything mentioning it. I'm not familiar with Slic3r, I was trying on a friends machine but I just downloaded it and loaded it in.
Slic3r.PNG
Slic3r.PNG (5.46 KiB) Viewed 124 times

parallyze

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 pm

sinabu wrote:
Alita Head.PNG
Support generation seems to work alright here (although for that model I'd recommend supports from the build table only).

I think Doug gave this hint recently: Opening models using the 3d builder on Win10 and saving them to .3mf might fix issues, so maybe that's worth a try!

sinabu

Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 pm

parallyze wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:38 pm
sinabu wrote:
Alita Head.PNG
Support generation seems to work alright here (although for that model I'd recommend supports from the build table only).

I think Doug gave this hint recently: Opening models using the 3d builder on Win10 and saving them to .3mf might fix issues, so maybe that's worth a try!
No luck there sadly :(

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”