girlinmotion

Constant clog on specific part

Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 pm

I'm trying to print a specific part, but each time I do, the printer clogs and the part fails at around the same layer(s). It's got a large build area, then a lot of small posts for screws, and 2 side walls. When it starts printing the screw posts, the nozzle will get clogged. I've had no trouble printing other parts, so I think it's just something with this model.

Printer is a CR-10S. I have it modified with latest TH3D firmware, and an EZABL auto-bed leveling configuration (which is working very well). I'm printing with black Hatchbox PLA. Print temps are 200/70/C. Printer is in an enclosure, with typical ambient temps around 30/C. These settings typically work very well for me (though I do have trouble with stringing).

Basic print settings are 0.4mm nozzle, 1.20 ex mul, auto width, 5.00mm retract dist, 45mm/s retract, 50mm/s print speed, 10% infill, 0.2mm layer, 3 top, 3 bot, 1 shell, 50% overlap.

Since installing the EZABL and bed-leveling firmware, I've had much better success in not printing parts for the trash. :D
Attachments
20200628_201612.jpg
start of failure
cr-10-all-in-one-left.factory
factory file
(140.57 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
cr-10-all-in-one-left.stl
STL file
(433.77 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

parallyze

Re: Constant clog on specific part

Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:58 am

girlinmotion wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:29 pm
then a lot of small posts for screws
5.00mm retract dist
Looking at the screw posts my guess would be: You're only extracting about .3 to .8 mm of raw filament per post and
retract 5mm between them. After a few retracts you end up with molten plastic being pulled too far out into the cold zone...

Using an extrusion width of 0.5mm instead of auto 0.48 and setting perimeters to "2" would make the posts solid
outlines, asking for more material on each section. This might be a workaround if you really have to retract 5mm...

Edit:
PLA. Print temps are 200/70/C. Printer is in an enclosure,
Absolutely sure cooling is adequate on the hotend/cold zone so you can rule out heat creep?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”