jameskipwade

PolySmooth

Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:09 pm

I am trying to print using PolySmooth. I was wondering if anyone had a profile file for PolySmooth.

I have an Artillery Sidewinder X1, and works fine with standard PLA and Simplify3d profile, but the PolySmooth seems to be stringy and hardens really fast. I've made adjustments to the speed and temperature as recommended, but still can't seem to get the start of a good print.

Thanks JW

S3D-Jake

Re: PolySmooth

Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:08 am

I don't have a profile to share but there are some really helpful tips already on the web for working with Polysmooth.
https://www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au/User-Guides/how-to-3d-print-polysmooth-filament#Stringing%20and%20Oozing wrote:Minimizing and preventing stringing.

- If the spool has absorbed moisture, the moisture will affect the flow rate and viscosity of the material causing unwanted stringing and wisps.
- Printing with a cooler nozzle temperature will in many cases help to reduce unwanted oozing as the plastic will flow and solidify at a different rate.
- By increasing the retraction length or retraction speed in your slicer settings, the extruder will withdraw a short distance filament from the nozzle, helping to prevent oozing when the extruder travels between points.

Poor Layer Adhesion

Causes and steps to improve poor layer adhesion.

- If the filament is under-extruding during printing there will be inconsistencies and gaps between the layer, compromising mechanical strength and layer adhesion. It is important to ensure you are printing the PolySmooth™ filament at the right nozzle temperature to ensure consistent flow and to minimize drag or tension which may prevent the filament from feeding.
- Poor layer adhesion can also be caused when printing with a PolySmooth™ spoiled with moisture. When the filament passes through the hot end, the moisture erupts creating bubbles in the extruded plastic, compromising the parts mechanical properties. If a spool of filament has absorbed moisture, it can be dried however it is important to store the PolySmooth™ correctly and prevent this issue from occurring.

I'm seeing frequent references to moisture having been absorbed by the filament leading to these types of issues. Do you have access to a dry box? If so, I would start my troubleshooting journey there with this spool of Polysmooth.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”