Zero9

Print Quality very poor

Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 am

Hello all

I have recently purchased S3D and was eager to get using it. I setup the printer (Ender 5 Pro) with no problems and set about printing a test cube.

I was horrified to see the print was extremely poor but was upbeat abut it thinking I had done something wrong.

I check all the settings from Cura and set S3D as close as possible, again the print was very poor. I reprinted the same test cube on Cura and come out perfectly.

Clearly I was doing something wrong as the printer was fine.

When printing I am getting lines along the side of the print (Doesn't happen in Cura), also when printing the perimeter wall there is a gap between the outer and inner wall.

i was sure I did something wrong, I looked on the S3D site and followed all the suggestions yet the print seem exactly the same, no better or worse. This made no sense at all so i decided to make some larger settings changes like setting the first layer width to 180% and re printed. the width was exactly the same as previous.

I'm out of ideas, none of my settings i make make any difference to the print and starting to think i should if stuck with Cura. Im sure this is an issue with settings but just cant seem to see where or how.

Does anyone have any ideas.

I have attached two pic of the first layer, one from Cura and the other from S3D both using similar settings. I must of tried 40 different prints with S3D all of them looking bad.
Attachments
S3D.jpg
Cura.jpg

jaro99

Re: Print Quality very poor

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm

This is not a problem with S3D. Look for the mistake in yourself.

parallyze

Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:06 pm

Zero9 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:17 am
I check all the settings from Cura and set S3D as close as possible, again the print was very poor. I reprinted the same test cube on Cura and come out perfectly.
Maybe you'd like to add a factory file so others can have a look at the settings. But looking at those pictures there must be some
differences between your cura and s3d profile. The first layer looks quite strange compared to the one printed with cura. Did you
set first layer width to some big value (> 150%)?

dkightley

Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 am

My advice....

1) Do NOT even think about, never mind try to copy, the settings from one slicer into another. Slicing software are different to each other....and a specific setting in one package will probably not do the same in another product.

Take the First Layer Width. You probably used it in Cura to close up gaps in the first layer print. Well in S3D it doesn't do that! With an extrusion width of 0.4mm and the First Layer Width set to 100% you will get extrusions at a pitch of 0.4mm. Change the First Layer Width to 200%...and the extrusions will be twice as wide - but spaced at twice the pitch! And that is just 1 setting!!

2) Start with the default process for your printer. It will have been developed to optimise the prints from that make and model of printer.

All you need to do is to make fine adjustments to the settings to adapt to your EXACT piece of hardware. All printers are slightly different...and are used in differing environments.

3) Learn what the settings in S3D do. Twiddling aimlessly will get you nowhere!

4) Start with one print. Identify one issue. Resolve it. Identify second issue....and resolve that issue. NEVER try to solve two problems at the same time.

5) NEVER alter two settings at the same time in an attempt to resolve an issue. If things improve, which change actually worked?

and finally......

If seeking help from the forum, describe the problem more accurately than by saying "it was extremely poor"....and as mentioned above, provide a Factory File of the state your part and settings were when you had the issue. Include a photo as additional information to help with identifying the problem.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Zero9

Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:44 am

dkightley wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:34 am
My advice....

1) Do NOT even think about, never mind try to copy, the settings from one slicer into another. Slicing software are different to each other....and a specific setting in one package will probably not do the same in another product.

Take the First Layer Width. You probably used it in Cura to close up gaps in the first layer print. Well in S3D it doesn't do that! With an extrusion width of 0.4mm and the First Layer Width set to 100% you will get extrusions at a pitch of 0.4mm. Change the First Layer Width to 200%...and the extrusions will be twice as wide - but spaced at twice the pitch! And that is just 1 setting!!

2) Start with the default process for your printer. It will have been developed to optimise the prints from that make and model of printer.

All you need to do is to make fine adjustments to the settings to adapt to your EXACT piece of hardware. All printers are slightly different...and are used in differing environments.

3) Learn what the settings in S3D do. Twiddling aimlessly will get you nowhere!

4) Start with one print. Identify one issue. Resolve it. Identify second issue....and resolve that issue. NEVER try to solve two problems at the same time.

5) NEVER alter two settings at the same time in an attempt to resolve an issue. If things improve, which change actually worked?

and finally......

If seeking help from the forum, describe the problem more accurately than by saying "it was extremely poor"....and as mentioned above, provide a Factory File of the state your part and settings were when you had the issue. Include a photo as additional information to help with identifying the problem.
Many thanks, I will try again and see what happens.

Steve

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”