arhi

startup and other crashes solved by disabling nahimic service

- some weird crashes during work
- 100% crash during startup if trying to start on non-primary monitor
- some other visual glitches

All this I tried to debug for a while, found some of the GL functions that fail and got a solution from s3d guy's in a way of disabling native GL and moving to angle by setting env variable QT_OPENGL=angle. It became obvious this is not S3D only issue as same problem I had with PrusaSlicer and IdeaMaker too (they don't support angle so that hint did not help for them)

finally I found the actual reason for the problem and a real solution that solved everything

problem is nahimic service that is a POS that just don't work that installs with realtec sound driver... disabling the service solved all my issues with s3d (and a bunch of issues with prusa slicer, ideamaker, dxo photolab, davinci resolve ...)
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
made3d

Re: startup and other crashes solved by disabling nahimic service

In my case, I haven't got this service, but Simplify3D crashes continuously without a reason. Usually it crashes when I edit a profile and update it. It's driving me crazy
parallyze

made3d wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:27 pm In my case, I haven't got this service, but Simplify3D crashes continuously without a reason. Usually it crashes when I edit a profile and update it. It's driving me crazy
Any chance you're using special characters/umlauts somewhere (gcode comments, process name or so?)

There's few threads about this, like this one here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13790
arhi

made3d wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:27 pm Usually it crashes when I edit a profile and update it
I had this problem, started with 4.0. The issue is a corrupted profile. Something somewhere is corrupted. I tried everything, talked to support... and the only thing that solved the crashes
1. backup all your profiles one by one, not as factory file as it is unreadable but export profiles as FFF files, one by one
2. uninstall s3d and delete EVERYTHING wrt s3d
- delete Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Simplify3D registry tree
- delete C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Simplify3D and everything under it
3. run some registry cleaner (CCLEANER free version is enough), reboot
4. install s3d
5. create all profiles MANUALLY!!!!! - DO NOT IMPORT the exported fff files, create profiles from scratch manually, open the stored FFF files in text editor or some xml editor, all the parameters are human readable in the xml files...

now it should work ok.

if you restore FFF files back in you might again have issues with crashing... I think one of the release, 3.x or 4.0 had a bug that corrupted one of the profiles, the only way to get out of it was doing this procedure..
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
made3d

Thanks a lot. I figured it but won't to try for laziness :)
I'll try today. Nice
KrazyJim

You would think that by now S3D would have written a profile repair tool. They know the profiles get corrupted. They tell you to uninstall and delete all folders associated with S3D, and then do a fresh install. This causes almost universal loss of all profiles.

There should / must be a profile repair tool that can be run without starting S3D. Microsoft has had so many issues with corrupted .pst files with Outlook, that they ship a tool called SCANPST.exe with every install of Office. Why can't or won't S3D come up with this to identify and fix corrupted profiles?

My suspicion is that some of the coders who wrote parts of S3D have moved on. Then it is likely the ones left behind either don't follow what the code does, they are not interested or ..... The worst case would be if the source code for some of the internal functions, have been lost due to malware, intent by those who no longer work at S3D, or management failure to ensure source code control has been properly implemented.

So if the latter is the case, new and current coders at S3D just use a compiled function and have little to no insight to the internal workings of that function. This would imply that any new version of S3D might have boiled in to it the same function, or functions. Net effect is that the profile corruption would continue regardless of whatever new functionality is implemented.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”