feste

Re: White screen

0 - Automatic
1 - Native
2 - Compatiblity Mode
3 - Disable

I found this in a suggested link before... but where do I put these values? Are they the ones in the parenthesis?
But I don't understand. Is this a channel for technical assistance or are you a user like me?
parallyze

feste wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:47 am 0 - Automatic
1 - Native
2 - Compatiblity Mode
3 - Disable

I found this in a suggested link before... but where do I put these values?
That's the values for "accelerationMode" inside the registry, right here:
accMode.JPG
feste wrote: But I don't understand. Is this a channel for technical assistance or are you a user like me?
I am just a user on this forum. If you need to contact support directly, there's a thread titled
"READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING - How to contact support" from 2013:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=264
feste

but I contacted the technical service! I'm sure they'il answer me then. I hope it will be resolved in some way soon. I don't want to give up Simplify 3d.
feste

I have seen that the change in the register is not very complicated - but I do not know what the consequences are. A double click and asks me if from 0 I can change values. Ok... but I've never done these things and I don't know what the consequences are. What Parallyze told me now seems to me the only possible option, but why do I have to make an extra save and if I change 0 with 1, 2 or 3? Is it so devastating and dangerous? I don't want to mess with the operating system and then find irreversible damage.
parallyze

Actually its quite amazing how hard to follow this thread already got. Maybe quoting every once in a while will help others
to keep track of things you've already done or others suggested... also this would give a notification to the people you quoted.
feste wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:38 am I have seen that the change in the register is not very complicated - but I do not know what the consequences are. A double click and asks me if from 0 I can change values. Ok... but I've never done these things and I don't know what the consequences are. What Parallyze told me now seems to me the only possible option, but why do I have to make an extra save and if I change 0 with 1, 2 or 3? Is it so devastating and dangerous? I don't want to mess with the operating system and then find irreversible damage.
1. The accelerationMode does have different options. Entering 0 would be like selecting "automatic" inside S3D. "1" like selecting "Native" and so on.

S3D stores settings/preferences inside the registry. That's what the "S3D-Software" hive is for. The reason you should export this before making changes is so you have a backup. S3D does store lots of other information in there (window positions, colors, units, process settings and so on)...

Windows does not really care about the "S3D-Software" hive. But unintended changes/renaming to other hives can have dramatic impacts. So just don't do anything outside the S3D hives...

2. I mentioned the accelerationMode settings because all information we got was:
"White screen"
for no reason today simplify 3d does not open. I took away my preferences, reinstalled the application, but it doesn't work. I uninstalled, reinstalled, but it doesn't work again.
You didn't mention the window was unresponsive. And that's a major difference from the "white window"-effect I know. That's why I linked the whole other thread to you, because others there mentioned other possible causes for this problem. Also S3D-Alex put contact information in there, so again I have to wonder if you even read that thread... or did any of the things suggested there, like checking for graphic card driver updates, which are sometimes required after major windows updates.
feste wrote: I think Windows has changed something. Am I the only one who has this problem?
Why do you think that? Did you check the update log, where there any updates on that day?
feste

I always update Windows. I updated the video card driver before writing here.
There are no special events for simplify 3d to stop working... there's nothing special about it. That is why I think it will have been an update, but I do not know how to go into this in more detail. I can say that I have two monitors connected to the graphics card. Can that be a problem?

When I open Simplify 3d I see white window not responding. When you open the only chance I have is to get out of the application and nothing else. I apologize if I didn't report this well.

I have written to support through the form, but have not yet received any response.

The only contact information I found is the support link, but I wrote at least 2 times for the same reason to them.

The issue of the register worries me because I never touched that - and actually I don't know how to save a copy and how to restore it then.
arhi

feste wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:39 pm I can say that I have two monitors connected to the graphics card. Can that be a problem?
yes, when you try to start s3d on non primary one it will fail 'cause nahimic service is intervining and failing.

go to services and stop (then disable) nahimic service (it's a useles piece of %$#^ that is supposed to improve sound driver by overlaying some data on screen during gameplay, disabling it will solve whole bunch of issues on your computer and you will not notice anything stopped working)
gcodestat integrates with Simplify3D and allow you to
Calculate print time accurately (acceleration, max speed, junction deviation all taken into consideration)
Embed M117 codes into G-Code
Upload your G-Code directly to Octoprint
open source and unlicence
parallyze

feste wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:39 pm I always update Windows. I updated the video card driver before writing here.
There are no special events for simplify 3d to stop working... there's nothing special about it. That is why I think it will have been an update, but I do not know how to go into this in more detail. I can say that I have two monitors connected to the graphics card. Can that be a problem?
I remember someone mentioning a bug in combination with nvidia gpu + multi monitor setups, this one:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14895&p=56196

He also added this just recently, another user reported problems with that nahimic service also:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15267

I have written to support through the form, but have not yet received any response.
I'm not sure you will get an answer over the weekend. But you can contact them by mail: support@simplify3d.com
Only had to do so twice over the years but they replied within 1 day (except the first time, which was on a friday evening... xD)
The issue of the register worries me because I never touched that - and actually I don't know how to save a copy and how to restore it then.
Maybe this can help you a bit to understand this and why I am suggesting this at all. I'm using a german windows installation so I'll
explain what's going on in the video:

00:00 - Starting S3D.
The two boxes you can see and the process inside the process list are what's coming from the "savedState.factory"-file. If there's a corrupt
model file this can also make s3d crash when restarting it. But you already deleted that file (the one inside the hidden directory under c:\users\).

But there's other settings, like colors and units setup. So let's change a few colors...

00:30 - Restarting S3D after changing colors and then launching regedit
00:45 - You can either export/save the selcted hive using right click -> export _or_ use the menu (File -> Export)
00:55 - That's what it looks like. Plain text with all the settings from the exported hive.
01:05 - Deleting the whole Simplify3D hive
01:15 - Now S3D is asking for user/password again. Because those settings are saved in the registry.
(ignore the error at 01:19, that's because one of my profiles in use from the savedState is using a custom firmware file, which the S3D installation now knows nothing about).
01:25 - As you can see S3D opens up with quite some default settings. Window position is top left, it's sized different and the object colors are back to yellow/orange
(And because I did not delete the savedState the boxes/process still come up as before, that's not stored inside the registry)

Now I'd like to reset everything to the way it was before:
01:35 - Close S3D, return to regedit and do a refresh (F5 or View -> Refresh)
As you can see there's now a new "Simplify3D" hive containing all the default settings. I don't want them, I want my old settings back, so I delete
that hive again @01:44

Restoring the previous settings is pretty easy. Simply double click the file you've exported your settings to (the one from 00:45) and
confirm adding this to the registry (01:50). As you can see all settings are now restored (colors, logon not neccessary). Oh, and the error about the firmware file is gone again, as it should :)
s3d_regedit.mp4
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
feste

He contacted the technical service yesterday and had me do an operation to determine what causes the lockdown. First I try to see what the technical service suggests to me. I'd rather not do expert operations. We see what solutions are being proposed to me.
feste

still nothing. They contacted me, I did what they asked me to do - but I still don't know anything. Maybe they're going to have to prepare an update? For the moment I am without a working program. Maybe I'm impatient, but simplify 3d is important to me and I've enjoyed it in this time. I am waiting and hope to receive news soon from the assistance.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”