Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Recurring Blob Pattern

Sat May 25, 2013 8:07 am

FYI - we have added some active detection of these potential surface flaws into the upcoming version 1.1.3. It should detect the bumps you are seeing and automatically smooth them out for the final G-Code file. Just trying to make things a little easier for you guys regardless of if the original STL is perfect or not ;)

problemchild

Sun May 26, 2013 11:49 pm

This issue looks exactly the same as the one I reported in "Reducing protruding "seam" at perimeter shell join". The difference is that blobs lined up when random layer starts were eliminated. As in this case, the blob sites were shown in the preview. I was able to eliminate them in Slic3r 9.8 and reduce, but not eliminate them in Creator by setting not lifting the extruder at new layers. The fact that they show up in the preview is strong evidence that the blobs have nothing to do with firmware.

A strange aspect of this is that in some cases the blobs were not present at low layers but gradually grew more prominent as the build progressed upward! In some profiles the blobs would cycle from nothing to fairly large, then smaller in a repeating pattern that looked like a line of droplets on the outer and inner surfaces.

scampa

Mon May 27, 2013 9:08 pm

I think this is the same thing I've been noticing...I just posted to the Makergear site as well looking for an answer....I wasn't sure if this was just to be expected as "normal"...
tube.JPG
tube.JPG (101.91 KiB) Viewed 5365 times
Any help in fixing this would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

wrex

Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:51 am

Any update on this? I'm evaluating the software (v 1.1.4) and first couple prints were fine and then suddenly showing same behavior with these bumps, as others. Solidoodle 3 here.
Can see bumps in preview which of course, show up in final. The "pyramid test" looks horrible :-(
Attachments
Pyramid.Cal.Test1.png

lotw

Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:16 am

I have had that problem with my Lulzbot AO-101 forever. I tried everything suggested, no retractions, different retraction settings, speed settings, z speed, etc and could never get non-blob prints. I even took the Gcode into Repetier and printed there with the same results. If I sliced in Slic3r or KISSlicer and brought it into Simplify3d it printed fine. Of coarse doing that makes the best features of Simplify3d go away.

wrex

Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:33 pm

What's odd is that the first two pieces I printed didn't have this issue and now every single one, no matter what STL I import, is doing it.

So disappointing.

Simplify3D
Site Admin

Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Guys, this is an old thread. The issue in this thread was fixed several versions ago. If you're getting blobs with the current release then it is most likely related to whatever slicing setting you are using and your specific hardware. Please start a new thread and include an image or two so we can help provide some useful feedback.

Gracias!

wrex

Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:03 pm

Simplify3D wrote:Guys, this is an old thread. The issue in this thread was fixed several versions ago. If you're getting blobs with the current release then it is most likely related to whatever slicing setting you are using and your specific hardware. Please start a new thread and include an image or two so we can help provide some useful feedback.

Gracias!

How does the age of the thread negate the issue??????

And why start an entirely new thread for this same-specific issue, when there is a thread already discussing it? That's bad forum management and only confuses things.

"Fixed". If it were fixed, then explain (other than the it's you fault, excuse) how it could occur. I haven't changed a single setting, prior to this issue (I've only changed what's been suggested, in this thread).

If you want me to purchase this and this is the type of answers I am to expect, then I guess I can save my money and just run with what I have now. Thanks.

I've uploaded a pic already. It prints EXACTLY like the preview is showing it. I can go an extra useless step and upload the final print as well, but as I said, just like the preview represents.
Solidoodle 3 and software version I am using is the trial software you guys sent me, version 1.1.4. Both of which, I have already specified.
IMG_20130713_120532_953.jpg
Actual print
Pyramid.Cal.Test1.png
Preview of print

lotw

Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:47 pm

I agree with that. I have had problems with the blobs, since v1.2 trial and he was nice enough to send me 1.3 trial which does the same for me on my printer. I have tried everything suggested, running the stock settings, other than filament size, since i use 3mm not 1.75mm. Increased/decreased retraction distance and speed. Nothing has seemed to work, but Slic3r and KISSlicer work fine. the blobs are so bad if I try and print at 0.2mm layer height that I cannot even print anything out that setting. Can only print at 0.36 or 0.4mm, but in the others I print at 0.2mm all the time and they look beautiful.

wrex wrote:
Simplify3D wrote:Guys, this is an old thread. The issue in this thread was fixed several versions ago. If you're getting blobs with the current release then it is most likely related to whatever slicing setting you are using and your specific hardware. Please start a new thread and include an image or two so we can help provide some useful feedback.

Gracias!

How does the age of the thread negate the issue??????

And why start an entirely new thread for this same-specific issue, when there is a thread already discussing it? That's bad forum management and only confuses things.

"Fixed". If it were fixed, then explain (other than the it's you fault, excuse) how it could occur. I haven't changed a single setting, prior to this issue (I've only changed what's been suggested, in this thread).

If you want me to purchase this and this is the type of answers I am to expect, then I guess I can save my money and just run with what I have now. Thanks.

I've uploaded a pic already. It prints EXACTLY like the preview is showing it. I can go an extra useless step and upload the final print as well, but as I said, just like the preview represents.
Solidoodle 3 and software version I am using is the trial software you guys sent me, version 1.1.4. Both of which, I have already specified.
IMG_20130713_120532_953.jpg
Pyramid.Cal.Test1.png

wrex

Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:07 am

Crickets....

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”