mpd352

GeeeTech A10T Invalid Tool errors

Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:29 pm

I have a GeeeTech A10T printer. This printer has three extruders but one hotend.
I have two other printers, and control all three with Raspberry PI’s running Octoprint, and have successfully printed multicolor prints on jobs sliced in Simplify3d and sent to the Octoprint instant controlling the A10T.

Recently Octoprint started getting “Invalid Tool” errors and can no longer successfully print on the A10T.

OctoPrint is updated to the latest version. The printer is running Marlin 1.1.8. I use Simplify3d, latest version as a slicer.

Prior to this is successfully used GeeeTech’s color mixer to do multicolor prints from Simplify3d generated gcode via Octoprint on the A10T

Now OctoPrint will not print multicolor prints, throwing multiple invalid tool errors. The job prints, but it prints in a single color using whichever tool I selected as the first tool to print.
The job will print successfully in multicolor if I print directly from Simplify3D via a USB cable.

I can generate gcode files in multiple colors with Repitier-Host and successfully print them via Octoprint.

I’m hoping one of you smart people out there can help a dummy figure out what is going on. I’ve searched the forum and found things mentioning virtual extruders, but I haven’t got a clue how I would configure those.

The logs and screenshots are attached.

Thank you,

Kevin

What did you already try to solve it?
Searched the forum and web.

Have you tried running in safe mode?
No, safe mode doesn't support multiple extruders

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?
N/A

Additional information about your setup
A10T Firmware is Marlin 1.1.8
Octoprint is 1.5.2
Browser is MS Edge
OS Is Windows 10
Simplify3d 4.1.2
Attachments
CaptureD.JPG
CaptureD.JPG (26.9 KiB) Viewed 150 times
CaptureC.JPG
CaptureB.JPG

mpd352

Re: GeeeTech A10T Invalid Tool errors

Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:08 pm

The logs
Attachments
serial-Conde-01-12-21.log
(652.16 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
octoprint-Conde-01-12-21.log
(717.73 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

b-morgan

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:11 am

As documented in https://community.octoprint.org/t/inval ... ages/28937, the Invalid Tool errors come from specifying tools other than T0 on the set extruder temperature commands (M104, M109). The A10T printer has only one nozzle shared between 3 physical extruders.

S3D does not appear to have a "Shared Nozzle" setting so I believe the best workaround is to change the Firmware Configuration, FFF settings to remove the T# from the Set Extruder Temperature and Stabilize Extruder Temperature.

mpd352

Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Brad figured out the issue and walked me through fixing it so I can now print my Simplify3d jobs via Octoprint. The thread on the Octoprint forum is here if you want to look at it. https://community.octoprint.org/t/inval ... ages/28937

I had to make a custom fff file within Simplify3d using this method to make the changes permanent:

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/vide ... -settings/

Thank you Brad

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”