BradB111

Strange waves in print wall

Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:37 am

Hello all,

I am currently having issues with print walls having a 'wave' pattern, Researching it seems like ringing however that only occurs over a short distance with fast changes in direction. My issue however seems to persist over a larger area and during a fairly slow print.

My Printing speed is 60mm/s and the perimeter is set to 30% (18mm/s) I can't seem to find any other examples of this issue elsewhere, hopefully someone can help?

LoocPac

Re: Strange waves in print wall

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:01 am

Have you checked your belt tension? and is it only doing it on this file or multiple prints?

BradB111

Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:05 am

LoocPac wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:01 am
Have you checked your belt tension? and is it only doing it on this file or multiple prints?
Thank you for the reply, The Belts are about as tight as I think they can be, they have the pre-installed belt tension clips on, This does happen on all prints to some degree but this particular print shows it most as it's among the largest prints I've done recently. (avg 65mm x 65mm )

LoocPac

Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:53 pm

without seeing everything myself there's not much I can suggest other than the steps that are shows here

https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printer-ringing-easy-fixes/

usually that type of thing only happens when there is excessive vibration in the machine. this can be caused by loose belts, printing too quickly for the machine, and not being on a solid base. try putting a patio brick under the printer on your desk to help reduce any shaking coming from the desk vibrating while it is printing.

BradB111

Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:00 pm

LoocPac wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:53 pm
without seeing everything myself there's not much I can suggest other than the steps that are shows here

https://all3dp.com/2/3d-printer-ringing-easy-fixes/

usually that type of thing only happens when there is excessive vibration in the machine. this can be caused by loose belts, printing too quickly for the machine, and not being on a solid base. try putting a patio brick under the printer on your desk to help reduce any shaking coming from the desk vibrating while it is printing.
Thank you for the link but I am 100% sure it is not ringing as I have printed a test cube and the same wave patter exists but no ghosting / ringing of the 'X' and 'Y' indents visible whatsoever.

It may also be worth adding that this printer (Flashforge dreamer) used to print almost flawlessly.

LoocPac

Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pm

Another question, have you tried a different filament? I am drawing a blank, it looks like a rather sturdy printer. If covid didn't have everything shut down i would have access to several people at the local community college maker space who are amazing at fixing things and figuring out what's going on. I would say look onto the 3d printing reddit and post there, much larger group of people and im sure someone there will have a better answer. Good luck.

gwhite

Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 pm

I managed to reduce the same effect on my printer by re-tensioning the belts. After three years, the X-axis belt in particular was looser than it should be. I also cleaned & lubricated the linear bearings. This was on a MakerGear M2E so your drive hardware may be quite different.

That main thing is that if it used to be fine, then I'd look for wear, loose fasteners, dirt, & lack of lubrication.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”