cvh

Dual Extrusion problem

Hi there,

I'm having trouble figuring out how the dual extrusion part of S3D works. I have figured out how to make the dual extrusion group, but it just doesn't work the way I need it to.

My problem is:

I have several profiles for different types of filament, so I have to switch between them from time to time, they're all set to "Both Extruders" in the "Auto-Configure Extruders". However, when I check the "Left Extruder" it says the primary extruder is the "Left Extruder", and when I check the "Right Extruder" it says the primary extruder is the "Left Extruder" too. So I change that to "Right Extruder" and it works just fine, but if I switch to another profile and go back to the first one, it has changed the "Right Extruder" primary back to "Left Extruder".

Am I overlooking something very simple or am I just plain dumb?
S3D-Jake

Re: Dual Extrusion problem

The "Both" auto-configure extruder option has presets for which extruders will be primary and which will be responsible for supports, rafts, etc.

If one were to examine the autoConfigureExtruders tag groupings in the the XML near the end of their FFF profile they would find

<primaryExtruder>0</primaryExtruder>
<raftExtruder>0</raftExtruder>
<skirtExtruder>0</skirtExtruder>
<infillExtruder>0</infillExtruder>
<supportExtruder>1</supportExtruder>

The numbering here is not necessarily the tool head number. It may match that in some cases, but it's not always going to be the case. The number for each of these references the extruder controller number. What this means is that if you look at your list of extruder controllers in the extruder tab the top entry in the list (typically the right extruder) will be number 0 and the list numbering grows by 1 as you step down it.

So to change your primary extruder from left to right you would swap whatever number is assigned to primary extruder with the number corresponding to your right extruder controller's position in the extruder controller list.
"A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song."

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”