gadittri

.4mm thin wall cube

When I try to slice a .4mm thin wall cube S3D will shows half the cube and leave the other. I have tried different settings with infill and layer but all show the problem. See attached pictures
Attachments
thin wall bug.png
Thin wall.png
jimc

Re: .4mm thin wall cube

what is your extrusion width? is the width higher than .4. if any part of the model is smaller than your extrusion width it will not print it.
gadittri

I have a .4 nozzle and tried setting to .35 and setting to extrusion width to auto after the others failed to slice properly but it failed too.
jimc

if your speaking of the nozzle size at .35 then that doesnt matter. a .35 on auto i believe gives a width higher than .4mm. set the extrusion width to manual and then .39 and see what happens. did you model this test cube yourself? if not make your own otherwise you really dont know how the person modeled this and if its correct or not.
dennisjm

When I wanted to do some thin wall testing, I found it a lot easier to just use the 20mm calibration cube and set 1 shell and 0 infill.
gadittri

The .4 stl was from Thingiverse and will slice fine with Kisslicer. I did create my own thin walled cube using Solidworks but it is doing other weird stuff slicing. I created two files, one is .4mm thick and the other is .8mm thick. I did what dennisjm suggested and was able to take a solid 20x20 cube and slice with 1 shell. I have attached the two files, can someone confirm if its a bug or my settings?

Thaanks,
Greg
Attachments
0.4mm-thin-wall.stl
Thingiverse file
(6.33 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
0.8mm-thin-wall SW.STL
Created with Solidworks
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 201 times
0.4mm-thin-wall SW.STL
Created with Solidworks
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
jimc

Greg, can you post an fff settings file for the settings you were using for the thingiverse cube you were having trouble with
gadittri

Here you go
Attachments
ABS Medium quality.fff
(8.21 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
jimc

its a model issue....sort of. the person who made the thin wall test probably did make it at .4mm wall but what probably happened is your have s3d set to exactly .4 and perhaps when this was modeled the tolerance in the cad software wasnt high enough or when exporting the mesh it just wasnt quite on the money or high enough poly. in any case if you take your settings and make your extrusion width .38 it will slice fine. another issue i see with the thin wall model is the inside is a sharp corner box and the outer is rounded. now the corners arent .4mm at all. that will cause an issue as well. you have to remember that with your width set to the exact same # as your wall thickness you can easily run into problems and it all comes down to tolerance and math. if the model ends up having a wall thickness of .39999999999 after its made into an mesh, even though you specified a .4 then its not going to slice. even though we all know that you could never measure such a width and and we realistically still call that .4mm. point is the math is just enough for it not to work and it shows as a complete fail in the slice. to make things so they always work just keep your extrusion width 1 less that the width of the thinnest wall you are going to slice. also with simple test objects like this you are better off making them yourself with a high tolerance so you know they are right. thingiverse is loaded with bad models. with that said though, s3d should probably not be so finicky and work something in where it can just ignore certain things like that and just slice it.
gadittri

Thanks for looking into it. Hopefully the developers are reading these forums and working on future improvements.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”