jkhoopster86

Printer ejecting filament during first layer problem

Hello,

I have been using simplify3d for years but am having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with trying to print this latest model. The model is (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4667413). The issue I am having is approximately halfway through getting the first layer down the printer (stock TAZ 5) will start ejecting the filament at the end of one of the long straight lines for the first layer.

I happened to be right near the printer when this happened so i let the print continue and tried to re-insert the filament. I was able to reinsert it and when it finished the next long straight section it started ejecting the filament again. I have tried restarting the printer and simplify3d several times and re-slicing it several times and re-printing it several times and it has done it on 4 different occasions now.

I want to upload the .gcode file but It is a large object and the forum says that the .gcode file is too large to attach. Is there another way i can upload it that someone can help me with? I assume this will be needed to determine what is wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
gwhite

Re: Printer ejecting filament during first layer problem

Check your retraction settings. I once made a typo and told it to retract 90 mm instead of 0.90 mm.
jkhoopster86

I have looked at my retraction settings and it is definitely not that. This seems to happen randomly about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the first layer.
gwhite

Does it only happen with this one print? I'd try a known good print file to make sure it's not a hardware issue like a loose connection.
jkhoopster86

yes it seems to only happen with this one file. I have ran the file through windows own stl repair program and tried printing it again and no dice. I can see on thingiverse other people have made it successfully.
gwhite

If it always happens on the first layer, you can shrink the gcode file down by only trying to print the first layer or two.

Go to the "Advanced" tab, and set the print start & stop height to 0 & (for example) 1mm. Just to be sure, try printing that to make sure it still messes up.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”