PatrickBroch

Importing STL files sideways

Everytime i import a STL file (made in solidworks) S3D imports it sideways.

So every model i import, i have to rotate 90 degrees around de X-axis to put it in the right position.

Is this a common problem? is there a simple adjustment to make every model imported in the right way?
KeyboardWarrior

Re: Importing STL files sideways

I believe this is due to how the object is orientated in SolidWorks. You might be sketching on the top/front plane when you should be sketching on the other one to start your prints.
Festus440

The default in Solidworks (as far as I know) is to think of the Front plane as if it were the bed of the printer. Positive extrusion from the Front plane will be in the positive Z direction in the STL file.

I rarely worry about it except when I want to publish a part with a recommended orientation for printing. In that case I add a Reference Coordinate system to the part when I'm finished. Set the Z axis to what you want and then when you export the part make sure that the new coordinate system is selected in the STL options screen.
Flashinpan

It seems no matter what I do, my model come in sideways. Curt has a "make model flat to platform" feature. Is there anything in Simplify 3d that does this> Its extremely irritating. I've brought models in from Strata 3D and Solidworks, and they both do that. Even if I turn the model sideways in the original app and then export. Is there any way to fix this?
CompoundCarl

If you look at the XYZ axis directions in S3D, you need to make sure those match how you are designing your models in your CAD package. If you design them in your CAD package so that the Y-axis is upwards, then it's going to import sideways when you try to 3D print the part, since the Z axis is always upwards on a 3D printer. So if you model them in the correct way, then this shouldn't happen.

However, if you have lots of models that are already incorrect, you may want to look at the import actions which can automatically reposition and rotate the parts for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ytvwfCn5g
dkightley

Another way of repositioning your models would be to use the "Place Surface on Bed" option on the Edit dropdown menu.

Select the option and then move your mouse to highlight a vertical face you now want to be face down on the bed and select it.

This will only work correctly if the selected face is true vertical....and only if you're wanting to rotate a single model or grouped models.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”