uberjay

Computer died - settings recovery question

Hi I've seen a couple posts in here on recovering settings due to lost computers/drives. I didn't see a clear answer to my question so am hoping somone can help out.

In my case my laptop's motherboard/CPU died and I replaced the whole thing with a new laptop. I pulled the old drive from the dead laptop and have access to all the files on the drive.

My problem is my printers a crappy knock-off i3 with weird settings. So I'm hoping there's a way for me to recover the old settings from somewhere on the old drive.

I've copied over the old \users\...\AppData\Local\Simplify3D into the new location. No joy, the Tools->Options -> Machine still isn't right.

I also found some really old settings backups *.fff files, but they're a few years old. I loaded them anyway. So at worst I will have to redo my tweaking.

Is there any other location I can look to get the settings from? Oh I do have access to all my old factory, stl, and gcode files. Not sure if the info I need is there?

Thanks in advance for any help.
dkightley

Re: Computer died - settings recovery question

Oh I do have access to all my old factory, stl, and gcode files.
Two out of three of these DO have your settings....

Load a factory file.....and your settings are there in the profiles! You'll just need to save them into processes

GCode.....view with a text editor.....and the settings are in comments at the top of the file, Hand transfer into a profile....then save to process.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
uberjay

Re: Computer died - settings recovery question

dkightley wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:47 pm
Oh I do have access to all my old factory, stl, and gcode files.
Two out of three of these DO have your settings....

Load a factory file.....and your settings are there in the profiles! You'll just need to save them into processes

GCode.....view with a text editor.....and the settings are in comments at the top of the file, Hand transfer into a profile....then save to process.
I'm an idiot... thanks. I was looking at all the tabs in the factory files' settings except the one that made sense- the GCODE tab. :roll:

Thanks for your help.... super grateful.
J.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”