grue19

unable to import FFF settings from selected location

hello. i noticed that a few times a saved factory file will show "default" profile even though i had created a new profile and named it using the "save as new" option where you select the profile.

then upon changing the profile (from default) using the drop-down list, it asked if i would like to save the changes with profile xyz1 and then profile xyz2.

i can either say yes to both question or no. keep closing S3d and reopening and it shows "default" profile and keeps asking the question.

until just now, when i went to File menu > New > imported my model > Add process and when i selected my profile from the drop-down list, it now says "Unable to import FFF settings from selected location".

i click on "OK" and it appears to keep the profile in the drop-down list that i picked (it's named "305l Dual Bondtech BestSoFar - New Ships Dredge (.9 ext .4 line width)" -- note that the name does not exactly match the settings :)

i've attached the two factory files as examples of the "default" even though it was saved with a different profile i created and the fact that it asks to save changes to two profiles one with "ships LCS Ind" and "dredge" in the names.

my goal is to save the two profiles and continue to use them. thanks.
Attachments
testxsw.factory
(51.89 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
dredge.factory
(51.92 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
grue19

Re: unable to import FFF settings from selected location

Additional Information - earlier today i exported the two profiles to my desktop. it seems that these warnings and errors started after that.

attached is a screen shot of my profile drop-down list.
Attachments
profiles.jpg
grue19

it appears choosing this profile gives me the error. but i also notice now that the "default" profile has "modified" after it. hm.

and to clarify what i'm doing here, i'm simply selecting the drop-down list and selecting different profiles. thx.

(see attachment)
Attachments
profile two.jpg
grue19

i think i have resolved the issue. i simply exported the FFF profiles i wanted to keep, then close S3D, re-opened, imported those FFF profiles and now i no longer am getting messages and further, it's saving the changes i make to the profiles when i say yes i want to save them.
gwideman

@grue19 Thanks for your suggestion to export and import the misbehaving profile.

I had a profile that misbehaved exactly as you described. When I exported the profile, I inspected the fff file (which is XML) and I noted two suspicious details. Let's call the troublesome profile "Trouble profile", exported to "Trouble profile (modified).fff"

1. In Trouble Profile (modified).fff, property baseProfile was set to a "Artillery Sidewinder X1 (modified)". Apparently, as some point in the ancestry of Trouble Profile, it was based on Artillery Sidewinder X1 while it was in a state of being modified. That seems quite likely -- you would normally start with an existing profile, modify it, and then save it to a new name. Anyhow, at some point I got rid of the X1 (modified) profile, so it was no longer there for Trouble Profile.fff to reference.

2. In Trouble Profile (modified).fff, the profile name attribute was set to "Trouble Profile (modified)". It's not clear to me whether Simplify uses the "(modified)" as a flag that the file has been modified and needs to be saved, but perhaps so.

I manually edited the fff file to change baseProfile to "Artillery Sidewinder X1", and changed profile name to a new name without "(modified)". Then I imported into Simplify, and that succeeded. I then removed from Simplify the profile "Trouble profile (modified)". (Remove is available from a button in the Edit Process Settings dialog.)

Hopefully this helps the next person who stumbles in here!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”