ChairmanNow

Slicing error? Gcode missing some features/details

For the attached stl file: when sliced, a part of the model is missing (it's very thin support material that I put in manually). Also attached is the process profile file. (i think that the files are attached - phpBB doesn't really give much feedback in that regard).

EDIT: seems that stuff doesn't post here, which is a drag. Find files at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/760qxh1dumt8bi5/9Q7m7DV5C8 - contains a couple of screen grabs, the profile file, and an STL.

Thanks,

CM
ChairmanNow

Re: Slicing error? Gcode missing some features/details

Problem still exits in 1.0.4. I'd really love to get some feedback!
Simplify3D
Site Admin

So I did some analysis on the STL and I think I at least have the reason for the missing feature nailed down. Let me make a few general suggestions first, just to help others that might be learning.

Anytime you have issues with a model, the first thing I would do is go to Repair > Identify Non-Manifold Edges. This will analyze the model for any incorrectly formed elements that may cause issues with the slicer. There are also a few tools to help repair problems you might run into, but knowing they exist is the first step. Your model actually checks out fine, so no problem there.

The next thing I did was dig a bit deeper into the actual location where the slicer was having problems. It's clearly a very thin feature, so that can be difficult when you try to represent it with a finite extrusion width. Typically, if the slicer can't outline the region without going outside the bounds of the part, it won't print it. In other words, it will never be able to print a 0.1mm thick wall with 0.3mm wide filament. Just to prove that's what was causing the issue, I went in and decreased the extrusion width slightly so that the very thin feature could now be represented properly (see screenshot).
smallFeature.png
smallFeature.png (112.84 KiB) Viewed 7360 times
Now after all this, I would still make one other suggestion about how you're going about preparing these models. Creator includes a fairly advanced interface for adding support material to your models. We're trying to make it easy enough that you won't need to go into a CAD package to add supports manually (like you're probably used to in other programs). If you have trouble with these thin supports you are making in your CAD package, I might suggest playing with Creator's integrated support tools (Tools > Manually Define Support for Model). You could even just turn on automatic support material generation in your FFF profile and that would have solved this problem too.

There's more than one way to skin a cat :D
ChairmanNow

I appreciate the response on this.

The thin feature (the support material) was designed for Slic3r's wall width for the model's layer height, at the time, which was .37 mm. It's definitely greater than the nozzle width, but apparently not as wide as Creator's minimum wall width. Changing it to .39mm solves the issue.

Interestingly, Slic3r's latest versions changed their calculations so that their minimum wall width for that model is also .39 - but they're able to deal with the manually added support material.

I'd suggest a warning message if stuff is going to be omitted due to being too small to slice, if that's possible.

Thanks for your attention on this-

CM
IceMan

ChairmanNow wrote:I appreciate the response on this.

The thin feature (the support material) was designed for Slic3r's wall width for the model's layer height, at the time, which was .37 mm. It's definitely greater than the nozzle width, but apparently not as wide as Creator's minimum wall width. Changing it to .39mm solves the issue.

Interestingly, Slic3r's latest versions changed their calculations so that their minimum wall width for that model is also .39 - but they're able to deal with the manually added support material.

I'd suggest a warning message if stuff is going to be omitted due to being too small to slice, if that's possible.

Thanks for your attention on this-

CM
I am glad I found this as I am having same issue with several parts. Thought it was just me and my setup. Have a try at slicing the part Quadrapod or the dish itself on Nasa's site. http://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/detail/bwg-antenna
Can't print it using S3D but was able to print the parts with Kisslicer. Unless of course you have a nozzle 0.1 or smaller.
As CM suggest, a warning in S3D when part(s) of model is omitted would be welcome. (If possible)

Regards
Jan
(Using S3D v 3.0.2)

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”