jimc

Re: PLA High quality profile doesn't "cap" parts

i have just seen the first instance of this problem. i attached a picture. the blades and center hub are capped fine but the main flat area is no cap. no matter what settings i plug into creator concerning walls, cap #s and infill i still get the same thing. it wont cap that area. it shows in a closeup of the preview that its not being capped.
IMG_1993.JPG
jimc

going back, i am looking at all of the parts i printed the past few days i have had my m2. anything with flat tops dont get capped even printed in the med setting. if its a dome it seems to do it but maybe its not and just appears to because its printing the walls and shifting over. i even just printed a rectangle shaped object that is 1/2" wide and 1/2" high and 3" long on default pla high setting and it didnt cap it. hope this one gets sorted.
jimc

i still have this issue with creator no capping parts right. the problem seems to be that the shells will go all the way up to the last/top layer then to give the solid cap it infills between. in many cases where the math all works out and each line fits evenly between the shells and spacing is right all looks good but especially on small items or in tight areas where an infill would not fit or something like that it leaves open gaps. all you see is shells going all the way to the top layer. i think what needs to happen here is say you have 3 top solid layers and 3 shells set then the walls or shells need to stop 3 layers down then the top solid layers go all the way to the edge or maybe only a single shell wall extends up the last 3 layers and the other 2 stop 3 layers down. the top solid layer infill can then go all the way to the outside line. not sure if that makes sense or not.you can see in the pic on the fan corner. the shells are all the way to the top layer. if they stopped a couple layers down and the top layer filled in all the way across instead of not doing it at all because it cant fit a line between it would not look uncapped

IMG_2164.jpg
i just found this in my trash bin and its a prime example. this was a skull i was printing. 3 shells, 3 top and 3 bottom with 15% infill. you can see the shells stepped over so far because it became a horizontal surface and left a big gaping hole in the print.
IMG_2165.JPG
Zeeflyboy

cdub wrote:The root cause of the problem I was seeing is how the slicer resolves the issue of the what to do with the infill when the feature thickness is less than the thickness dictated by the number of perimeter shells.

For example, let's say I'm calling for 3 perimeter shells. Based on my nozzle and filiment, my extrusion width is coming out to 0.6 mm. For a 3 mm wall feature, the solver will try to put in a total of 6 widths of the perimeter shell. In this case, 6x0.6 it will come out to 3.6 mm, which wont fit. The software is smart enough to recognize this and it dutifully drops out the inner most perimeter shell. However, it isn't smart enough to go back and attempt to put an infill in that space either. Thus, in this example, I ended up with 4 x 0.6 of the width occupied by perimeter shells (2.4 mm) and am left with an 0.6 mm gap between the 1.2 mm walls. This 0.6 gap is wide enough that the machine could have made an extra pass and filled it in with infill, but it doesn't. The important thing is this, once the solver starts dropping the "inside" perimeter shells, no combination of infill settings will cause it to fill in the gap that is left.

What you are alluding to is tweaking the extrusion settings to either make the extrusion a little bit wider such that it fills in the 3 mm exactly or make it thinner so that the number of perimeter shells fit in the space provided for in the design file. Both of these things could be done too.

change minimum infill length to 0.6mm?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”