danielhenley

Re: Overhangs not being supported

CompoundCarl wrote:You are just using too large of a pillar resolution. It will support that ear just fine if you use a smaller size. You can't expect it to pick up a thin ear like that with such a large pillar resolution.

If you need help, post the STL and I'll be happy to help ;)
Sure you can, evident by other slicer software doing it just fine.

The printed resolution of the supports shouldn't be directly linked to how unsupported areas are detected, these values should be decoupled.
AK_Eric

"Sure you can, evident by other slicer software doing it just fine."

Exactly danielhenley : Whether or not I want tiny support tower or a "big" big one, it should still not leave unsupported structures regardless. It should detect for the unsupported area, and then place either a small \ big pillar under it like... all the other slicers do I illustrated earlier.

No argument this is bad, whether you consider it a bug or a missing feature. S3D is great overall, and because of that it just makes stuff like this stand out even more.
Bots:
Makerbot Replicator 2x / Sailfish on Mightyboard
Custom C-Bot / RepRap Firmware on RADDS
Custom Tevo Little Monster / RepRap Firmware on Duet
AK_Eric

Here's another one: Printing a dagger for a buddy, the blade length is around 230mm. Support pillar resolution set to 1. Overhang angle set to 45:
Screen Shot 2015-10-21 at 7.55.10 PM.png
Not only will the tip section fail, whole sections of the length will fail as well due to the lack of overall "automatic" support.
Bots:
AK_Eric

Just to beat this dead horse: Still not fixed in 3.1.0
Bots:
Rebekah_harper

have you tried to increase the extra inflation distance and/or manually adding them?
AK_Eric

S3D is great for adding supports manually. This feature request/bugfix is about it's 'automatic' support system, and how it's completely failing to catch unsupported features like previously described and illustrated.

If it encounters a shape like a floating " V ", as long as those angles are within the defined overhang tolerance it creates no support, which is correct. I don't want it to create supports where it shouldn't based on the overhang tolerance. But what it fails to do is support of the base of the V, that's floating in space. Which then causes the entire V print to fail as it extrudes into unsupported space on the base. It appears to have no concept for items like that, which cause print failures on complex shapes without thorough manual inspection... completely defeating the purpose of "automatic" supports.
Bots:
sscherrer

I agree, we need support to be improved ! Other slicers do a better job and are more innovative. Support is very important for success.
AK_Eric

Just to bump this, since I still encounter it: I tested ideaMaker & CraftWare, they both fail as well with automatic supports. However, I learned that while they both provide manual supports like S3D, CarftWare allows you to arbitrarily angle you manual supports (rather than them always being vertical), which is pretty cool.s
Attachments
overhangCompare.jpg
Bots:
upsm

AK_Eric wrote:Just to bump this, since I still encounter it: I tested ideaMaker & CraftWare, they both fail as well with automatic supports. However, I learned that while they both provide manual supports like S3D, CarftWare allows you to arbitrarily angle you manual supports (rather than them always being vertical), which is pretty cool.s
Can you share the stl and factory file?

I have many issues with Simplify3D but this works for me perfectly every time. I do use manual support 99% of the times when using Simplify3D but the automatic one always worked ok.
Used cars search engine
  • TT UP Plus 2 / Smoothieware
  • M150 / Smoothieware
  • Custom (mendel) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Smoothieware
  • Custom (darwin) / Marlin
  • Custom (darwin) / Replicape
AK_Eric

upsm: Sure, it's linked to on the first post.
Set your automatic support angle to 45 and "Generate Automatic Supports": It will be unsupported.
Bots:

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”