lotw

The last

My demo ran put but before it did I put Creator 3d through some tests and was liking it, but then ran into a weird problem.

See attached photo

Left= Creator 3d, middle= Slic3r, right= KISSlicer

I have some real backlash type problems with Creater 3d when compared to the other two slicers. The other parts for this model where not as bad, in fact they where clean except where the hole was for the joining part, Creator 3d had backlash type problems while the other two where clean.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (385.26 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (308.01 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: The last

Glad you've been liking the software thus far!

It's a little hard to tell the scale of those objects from the images, but it looks like it might be a simple case of undercooling. The peeled up corners and ripped layers are usually a classic sign that the layers aren't getting enough time to cool. Creator has pretty good default settings to prevent this, but it's easy to make a few changes and run into trouble. The Cooling tab has settings that enforce a minimum layer time by slowing down the print speed if the part is too small, and depending on what material you are printing with, you would probably want to make sure the fan is running at a fairly high speed. It would also be worth checking your print speed to make sure it is at a reasonable level for such a small part.

If we encounter problems like this, it usually means we had pushed the print speed too high or had accidentally set the "Adjust printing speed for layers below XXX seconds" to a value that is too low. The default of 15 seconds is pretty good for most parts.

It's also nice that you can use the override knobs on the Machine Control Panel to tweak the printing speed in real-time while the part is being built. It makes it really easy to dial in a good speed for your parts.

Again, hard to be too confident without more info, but that seems like a pretty good guess based on your symptoms
lotw

Well actually the slic3r and KISSlicer versions where printed faster. In fact KISSlicer was run at 100mm/s perimeters and 200mm/s infill. If you,don't look at the head picture you can see that Creator 3d does a great job, then gets to the hole and messes up then works good after.

I have slowed printing down and even put perimeters at 50%. Min layer time I increased to 20 seconds and still no difference.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

What temperature was the extruder at? Was the fan on? And what material were you using (PLA or ABS)? If you have the .gcode file, I'd be happy to take a look at it for you or even try printing the same file on one of our machines here. A little known fact, the gcode files actually contain the complete settings used for the print and can be loaded just like a typical .fff file. It makes it really easy to go back and figure out exactly what settings you used :)
lotw

Don't have a fan and only print with ABS at 230d for all three slicers. Everything was printed at as close to the same as I could do on all three slicers. Same temp, about the same speed, and within a few mintues of each other.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Well that is definitely far from normal print quality so I suspect there is something going on..

Can you please post or email me the .gcode file so I can take a look?
lotw

Not anymore my trial ran out.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

You should have an email waiting for you ;)
lotw

Well the new version fixed the crashing issue I was having and video seems a lot better than it was on OSX. The problem in this thread is still there though, I tried lowering the temp after the 1st layer too and it still has the same banding. Here is the GCode, well I'll guess I will have to email it, says board attachment quota has been reached.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Have you tried printing that part using the standard settings that come with the software? We had some spare time on a few of the printers over the weekend, so I went ahead and printed the part your are having trouble with on a few of our machines.

I only used the exact stock settings with stock filament, stock printer, etc. All the results looked pretty much spot on (see photo).
head02.jpg
head02.jpg (137.6 KiB) Viewed 6990 times
In reality, I'm sure we could get much better results if I had actually modified the setting for that specific part, but I just wanted to show what even the default settings should be capable of doing. So at this point I'm guessing you might just have a setting or two that is a little off for your particular setup. What temperature settings did you use with the other prints?

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”