'hannoHI

Approach overhangs fron a non overhang direction

I'm printing mostly with ABS. Great for printing overhangs without support but due to the slight up-curl and the speed of printing it sometimes happen that the model is bumped off the build plate.
A way around this is to use z-lift. This do however slow down my printing time considerably. Would it be possible to ensure that the approach to a overhang area is always from a non overhang area (especially not starting over the area as the fast moving head is more likely to bump the model) or maybe even better to implement z-lift when passing over an overhang area only.
Thanks.
TenKOhms

Re: Approach overhangs fron a non overhang direction

If this was happening to me (it has happened in the past) what I would do is try to increase adhesion to the bed. Whether this be through adhesive materials such as glue or adding a brim to the model (I usually add a brim if there's little surface area touching the bed) , Making sure the part sticks to the bed is the best solution in my opinion to preventing it from being knocked away.
'hannoHI

Using ABS juice to stick things down. I can normally print quite large objects without it being knocked off. The problem probably arise when moving (100mm/s) to a new position to start printing and the head moves over a curled up section (where there is overhang without support) on a section higher up on the model (e.g. when closing up a hole.)
Printing much slower reduce this risk but who wants to wait around when a simple software solution can resolve it.
JoeJ

This might be best placed in the feature request section

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”