jimmybuckets

Re: slicing bug with small cylinder on large cylinder

Yeah..heavier infill % def helps, but the problem with the infill options in S3d are that they only have a very small cross section of the infill that overlaps. There are several options on other slicers that create a more solid wall of infill from top to bottom. I'm not bombing on S3d. I own and it an really enjoy it, but the first issue in the thread is a huge problem and the lack of celluar infill is really bothersome also. Right now I'm firing up my old copy of Kisslicer Pro and Slic3r because s3d's prints in certain situations are that much weaker.
JoeJ

Using a 200% extrusion width (essentially an extrusion multiplier), about 80% of my infill contacts and bonds with the layer below it. I have done strength tests to prove it. It makes it extremely solid since the extra extrusion fills the gap between layers. This makes a solid wall instead of the weaker infill you are describing when using 100% infill extrusion width.
jimmybuckets

The extra extrusion width is nice...but a just a patch...true cellular infill is really what is needed to accomplish this properly...as well as fixing the way layers are dropped on open infill. These two things fixed...you won't hear from me for a while.
JoeJ

I've printed both types and the 200% extrusion width actually had a higher bonding percentage than the honeycomb fill, since it isn't true honeycomb. They have to use alternating zig-zag layers, which in the end kind of look like honeycomb from above. Not sure why cellular infill would be any better since from my tests, you actually have a higher percentage of lines that aren't supported from below (around 30%).
Levi8than

JoeJ wrote:The best way to make a strong bond there would be to make several solid layers at that intersection between the small and big cylinder. That way you will get a really strong bond. I would also use another process for the top section. This way you will have the top and bottom solid layers printing on top of each other which produces a very strong bond. When you go to print, just make sure to select both processes and use a continuous printing mode.

If you haven't done this before, you might want to read their tutorial: http://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutor ... f-a-model/
That's a slick trick. no I've never done this before.
Thanks so much for your help.
jimmybuckets

Another example of this issue
Attachments
20150318_081105 s.jpg
andre

What is interesting here is if you use 0 for top and bottom solid layers, but set Infill at 100%, the code can and will fill in those voids. Something about the solid layers causes it to not fill in those areas. Should at least give us option to turn this on or off...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”