falken

I like this package but need some help...

I have a Makerbot replicator 2 and just got a copy of the eval version of this software. So far, I really like it. It slices fast and the support feature is great, no more making manual supports in 3dsmax for me. I've sliced the model. I would like to see the option to select the output path for the gcode & x3g files, but it was easy to find where they were being saved. I never print from USB.

Are the times reported accurate? I printed a model using skeiforge through makerware on high settings. 3 shells, 0% infill extruder 100 mm/s travel 150 mm/s and it took 7.5 hours to print.

When I sliced the exact same model in this program, with 3 shells, 0% infill 5400 mm/min (5400/60 = 90 mm/s ?) travel 9000 mm/min. It reports that it will take 238 mins or 3.96 hours. Is this accurate? Is the print time really this much shorter by using this software to slice? The model also took makerware over 30 mins to slice whereas this software did the same in about 3 minutes, that even converts the gcode to x3g.

I am having a problem printing though. It appears as though there is too much plastic being extruded and it causes the head to drag through the plastic. It's rough and vibrates the print bed. I don't see how to change how much plastic is used. The temp settings are pretty much the same as the other slicers at 230. The filament diameter is set to 1.75 in the software, but if I measure my filament with calipers it is about 1.68 on average. Should I change that setting to reduce the amount of plastic being pushed out?
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: I like this package but need some help...

Hey there!

Glad you're enjoying the software so far! Let me see if I can help answer a few of these questions.

1) The output path for gcode and x3g files is actually saved each time you browse to a new path. So if you always put all your gcode files in the same location, the software will automatically remember that location for the next time you export a file. It's basically a dynamic method for saving your output location without having to hard code or bother with another setting.

2) The toolpaths coming out of Creator are heavily optimized, so it's not uncommon to see a 30% improvement in printing time compared to other slicers. That can add up to BIG savings if you're doing an 8 hour print like you said. And it's even better than it was able to generat these highly optimized paths with the 10x faster slicing that you noted :D

3) I think I sent you an email about this topic as well, but I suspect the vibrations are either coming from reduced printing speeds (usually to maintain adequate cooling) or maybe even some very thin infill segments. If you want to post your .factory file (File > Save Factory File As...), I would happily take a look at your current settings. The factory file will contain the STL, placement information, slicing settings, support material, etc. It let's us recreate exactly what you were doing which is extremely helpful for troubleshooting. The files are also highly compressed so it saves A LOT of disk space using a factory file versus sending the complete gcode file.

4) And if you are running into over-extrusion issues, the easiest thing to do is decrease your extrusion multipler to reduce how much plastic is used for a given line length. I would try that before modifying the filament diameter. The default Rep2 profile is pretty good though, so you shouldn't be too far off unless you are using a very different material or filament manufacturer...

Hope that helps!
falken

Thank you for the quick response. I don't remember where I read it, I think it was on this forum, but someone asked about the multiply being set to .9 as opposed to 1.0. I think someone said that .9 is a better setting to use with PLA and 1.0 to 1.1 is better for ABS? Does that sound accurate? Mine is set to 1, I can change it. I'll just give it a try, What do I got to lose right? I'll just reslice the model, it only takes minutes, not tens of minutes anymore! If I can't get it figured out, I'll certainly upload the factory files. I'll also provide links to youtube videos so you can see Simplify3d's slice being printed and Skeinforges slice being printed. This will clearly show the differences. Skeinforge prints much nicer as far as laying the plastic down, but this is down to tweaking this software to find out the right settings.

I'm buying this software next week, I know this will work excellent once I've got the right settings in.
falken

I'm sorry about the double post.

Here is an image that shows the difference between two types of prints.

The image on the left is an item that was sliced in skeinforge
The item on the right was sliced in Simplify3d Creator

I have tried changing the filament diameter to match my filament more closely. I've changed the multiplier and nothing seems to change. Why does the skeinforge make such a cleaner print? The machine is very quite and doesn't drag the nozzle through the plastic at all on that print. The machine makes a lot of noise while printing the other as you can hear in this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXQf0ca1lV0

Please note, the item being printed in the video is not the same item that is pictured in the Image at the top of this thread.

What settings do I need to change in order to produce better results? I know this is a setting issue. I have the factory file I can share, but Where do I upload it?
Simplify3D
Site Admin

You can post the factory file on the forum by clicking the "Upload attachment" tab, browsing for the file, and clicking "Add the file" after you have selected it.
kos

I am wondering what the final resolution was for this was as I am having the exact same issue. Great software so far, just wanting it to print correctly!

Thanks!
lotw

I have at issue too, if printing at low layer heights where other slicers work fine. There seems to be a gap between each line instead of making it run up next to it. Like it is calculating the next move slightly off leaving a gap between bigger then the plastic can fill.
Simplify3D
Site Admin

Hey everyone,

I'll be happy to dig into this issue for you to try to figure out what's going on. Can you do me a favor and try to put together a simple .factory file that illustrates the problem? The simpler the part and setup, the better. You can export a .factory file by going to File > Save Factory File As. It will include the STL, placement information, FFF settings, support material, and basically anything else that we would need to exactly recreate what you were doing.

And a few questions from my end:
1) Does this only occur at very low layer height settings? It looks that way from the comments.
2) Is it isolated to a specific printer? I know most of the posts here appear to be for the Rep2/2x.

Thanks
kos

I haven't tested other layer heights as of yet, but I'm trying to print at .1 mm.

I am also using a Replicator 2 but with the newest Sailfish firmware (7.4)

I can try a simple object @ that layer height after work and upload the file if it shows the same symptoms.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”