Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:01 am

Build switches from L to R extruder

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:57 am

Hi, all. New user here, but not new to 3D printing. I've just moved from a Makerbot Replicator 5G to a FlashForge Creator Pro (Dual), and I can't be more happy. My 5G has been nothing but trouble for the last year. The FF works great, and my first print yesterday with S3D on the right extruder was the most beautiful print I've ever had come off of a printer. I then started using the left extruder because it had a different color filament already loaded, and after a few layers, it starts trying to print with the (cold) right extruder. This happens reliably after it completes layer 5. I've verified my process settings, using the FF Creator Pro (left extruder) profile, and almost everything was left at default. The only change I've made is to lower the extruder temp after layer 1 and turn off the HBP after layer 5.

I've been testing prints this morning with the following results:

* right extruder, HBP off at layer 5: prints fine
* left extruder, no change to HBP: prints fine
* left extruder, HBP off at layer 5: prints fine until layer 5, then switches to right extruder
* left extruder, HBP off at layer 5, re-set left temp at layer 6: still switches to right extruder

I've been printing over USB this morning and can see it switch in the machine control panel - it definitely starts using the right toolhead.

This looks to me like a bug, but I thought I'd check in here for a workaround before reporting it to S3D. I've attached the 2 gcode files here. The diff is very small - it looks like it genuinely starts slicing with instructions for the right toolhead, and I can't think of any way to repair that.

Right gcode file (working one)
(975.15 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Left gcode file (broken one)
(975.21 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by monachus on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posts: 1436
Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:52 am

Re: Build switches from L to R extruder

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:30 am

Yes, this is a known firmware limitation and potentially an issue that needs to be fixed in GPX. See this post for more details: ... 8043#p7931

You can try creating a custom GPX ini file that had a heated bed associated with both A and B extruder. Then update the firmware config settings in S3D as well. That should make it behave like the Rep2X which works correctly. Someone just needs to patch GPX in the future so that this is configured correctly by default.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”