rsavell

MASSIVE memory leaks

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:11 pm

When will the massive memory leaks be fixed?

rsavell

Re: MASSIVE memory leaks

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:53 am

Attached is an example after a few Prepare to Print operations.
Simplify3D Memory Leak.JPG

bot

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Are you running windows 8 on a machine with less than 4GB of memory? And trying to do 3d work?

That must be fun. I don't think there are any "memory leaks." I think those are "memory allocations." I'm not a software developer, so I don't know for sure... but this does not seem out of line for a piece of software to use. I've had a sliced model where just the VISUALIZATION in memory exceeded 1GB.

dsegel

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:05 pm

There's definitely a memory leak. On my Mac with 16GB of RAM the amount of RAM used by S3D goes up with each slice or gcode preview. After 10 or 15 of them it's using 8-10GB+ of RAM, and it never seems to stop growing. Quitting and restarting S3D causes the RAM used to drop back down to ~125MB, until I start slicing or previewing gcode again.

bot

Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:03 am

Are you noticing any performance issues while mutlitasking? I run s3d, multiple instances of it, and use many other 3d apps, as well as chrome and thunderbird... and I don't see any problems, with only 16gb of ram.

Just because it is using increasing amounts of memory doesn't necessarily mean there is a "leak," does it? Could it not be legitimately using progressively more memory?

Yona.Appletree

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:36 pm

I am experiencing the same leak, and it's really a shame, because it compromises one of the best features of S3D: the fast slicing and previewing. I'm working with fairly large models and I do frequent slice/preview/tweak settings cycles. After a while, S3D is using 5GB of ram, whereas it only uses ~500MB upon the first render.

@bot - It seems likely that this is a memory leak because of the iterative nature of the issue. Each successive slicing adds to the memory footprint. That implies that memory from previous slicing/previews are not being recouped after being finished.

I've sent a message to them asking for a fix, and made a little screencast of the issue here: http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cof60yeReZ

tenaja

Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:20 pm

bot wrote:Are you running windows 8 on a machine with less than 4GB of memory? And trying to do 3d work?

That must be fun. I don't think there are any "memory leaks." I think those are "memory allocations." I'm not a software developer, so I don't know for sure... but this does not seem out of line for a piece of software to use. I've had a sliced model where just the VISUALIZATION in memory exceeded 1GB.
It is most certainly a leak.

If you Prepare to Print followed immediately by Exit Preview Mode, with each iteration the memory usage grows. Since there is no way to access "previous" Preparations--i.e. there is no undo, and no history to select a previous g-code, etc.--that is the very definition of a memory leak. The only way this would be expected behavior is if there is a reason for the memory to grow--for instance, saving the history, either to allow for Undo actions or to allow access to a previously processed file that was not saved to disk.

tonyno

Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Wow. I just confirmed this on my system. With 12 small models loaded, going back and forth, it went up 28.9MB each time.

AndersE

Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Hehe.. i am running s3d temporarily on a core2duo with only 2GB (win7) and i can't print/exit print (small) objects many times before i have to restart the somputer.

dennisjm

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:25 pm

I've reported this in the past clear from early 2.0 releases.
I have 16GB on my Mac and if I don't restart S3D on occasion it can bring the machine to a crawl.

+20 ( for all the times I've already made this comment )

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”