kerlin

Re: First print layers density question

CWAVE6K wrote: --snip--
...found that if I set the 1st layer height to 300 percent, 1st layer width of 100 percent, and 1st layer speed set to 50 percent I got better adhesion and coverage. The difference was remarkable.
Not sure about anyone else but for me, perimeters weren't ever a problem but these settings fixed two problems. Density of the solid surface and adhesion. Thanks! :D

First layer:
..height: 300%
..width: 100%
..speed: 50%

I forgot that I had the machine speed at 150% in the control panel and still got a nice first layer. Using a sensible speed in control panel (100%) has resulted in reliable first layer adhesion. Note: I use a retraction zhop of .5mm and that seems to help preserve fine details like those found inscribed in the bottom of the retraction test model from the Make: 2016 3D Printer Shootout Models.
jeevesme@hotmail.com

I am impressed you got a good sticky layer at 300% Layer height and 100% extrusion width (unless you have a large diameter nozzle, then it wouldn't be as impressive). Typically you want want a lower layer height and increased extrusion width so the filament is really smashed onto the build plate.
oozey

I know this is an "ancient" thread in 3D printing terms, which is why I can't understand why this hasn't been addressed.

The first layer WIDTH setting is retarded in the way it works. FFS, you pay for software and it's got useless help files leaving you to trawl the internet to find out how the settings work, and then they throw in something like this... A feature to actually 100% of the time sabotage a print.

This needs either changing in the way it works (extrude more plastic, don't leave gaps - why would you want gaps?), or if too lazy to do some work, then at least update the documentation with real world examples and pictures of how these "features" do nothing but ruin your first layer for you.

Would suggest renaming this feature to 'first layer sabotage' with a default setting of 0%, then increases the spaces between lines as you increase - it would be more intuitive and useful.
CompoundCarl

I'm not sure you understand how the "first layer width" option works. It DOES change the amount that is extruded. If you change the extrusion width from 100% to 200%, it will extrude twice as much plastic. Open the gcode files and you can verify this for yourself. It does exactly what it should.
InoTek3D

I did some extensive testing to find the best settings for my printer the other day and I found out that the "Width adjustment seems to spread the lines apart as you increase it. It didn't do anything with the amount of filament that is extruded. Also, the "Height" adjustment doesn't extrude any more filament it just changes how close the nozzle is to the print surface.

I have read this same thing a few other places as well.

I am printing on PEI with ABS so I don't want to just push the filament into the surface to make it close in the gaps as others are suggesting. If I do this, my part will not come off when finished. Therefore I wanted to close the gaps without decreasing the height to the table which would squish my first layer into the PEI surface.

The setting I found to work best for my printer was a "Height of 120% & a width of 80%. I tried to every combination I could think of within about +-40% of each of these to arrive at this optimal setting. I may lower the Height setting some because I am still getting a little too much squish of the 1st layer right now.
nxym

I have similar problem and i solve it.

Forget what mechanically does every aspect of this program.

Put a model like the one i attach and change every aspect one at a time to see the behaviour of first layer. Look at the gcode on "prepare to print" what is changed from the bottom camera.

From my experiments i found that if i want a first layer WITHOUT gaps i must LOWER the "First Layer Width" to 50% of my extrusion width (which i manually set it in the same size with my nozzle diameter in extruder tab).

That tells to print a layer bottom solid fill with lines that will have smaller width (0.2mm for my case) and such will print more smaller lines that fills the gaps.

Also in my case i have on Infill tab an outline Overlap 60% so i can make parts with holes on it without any gap.

You can put more percentage on thin wall behaviour for the gap fill on Advanced tab but i don't see any improvement.

So If you want to print Small lines (like High res on print glossary) at the vertical axis you put small number at the Primary Layer Height and that improve perimeter of your object and for the horizontal axis you play with extrusion width and all others that has a behaviour with that such first layer width and top/bottom layers. Keep in mind that nozzle diameter is a limitation for that width and with some tricks the software try to make a smaller width from a bigger nozzle hole so if u want truly small width u must change your nozzle to a smaller one!

I hope thats help.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Testing Circle 40×30×1.STL
(22.74 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
scobob

I was experiencing the same thing. Cura put down a perfect first layer but S3D seemed to be under extruding. Lots of webs and clumping. I think I finally have it. I am printing at .1 which I normally do. Bed is leveled to .015 with feeler gauge. I set extruder multiplier to 1.00 from .90, set first layer height and width to 125% and lowered speed to 40%. Printing great now. Hope that helps someone.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”