JimPE

Units, mm or inches

Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:33 pm

I just upgraded to 1.1.4. I am using a Maker Gear M2. I tried to make a small print for about 1 hour and it was at that point paper thin. In looking at the fff file I see Extrusion Diameter "1.750 in". That is unbelievable. 1.750 mm would be believable. I also see "Layer Height 0.300 in", "Filament Dia 1.750 in". In looking at some old gcode I see in it "Convert units to inches". So what is really happening here? I tried to reduce some "in" values to decimal fractions and get an error about the layer heigth to extrusion width ratio being less than 1.2. So what values should be in the fff file? What units? Is it really "Converting"?

Simplify3D
Site Admin

Re: Units, mm or inches

Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:25 am

The entire 3D printing world pretty much operates in millimeters. All of the profiles included with Creator use millimeter units. It sounds like you might be trying to use a millimeter profile with your preferences set to inches. Try going to Tools > Options and then the Preferences tab. Select millimeters for your unit system and then reload the profile (you may need to switch between 2 of the included profiles clear any changes you had made).

Samantha

Re: Units, mm or inches

Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:54 am

Most of the units are given in Millimeters. If your metric is set to Inches, please follow the below steps: :)

Tools > Options and then the Preferences tab. Select millimeters for your unit system and then reload the profile.

Once done, you can validate the conversions by any of the calculators online - Millimeters to Inches

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”