MikaMa

Surface problems - what to adjust?

Hi

I recently changed from cura to Simplify3D and will never look back. But, after Z calibration and Flow calibration process I printed the following object and I would like to know how to get rid of the holes and the ugly parts on the surface.

My guess would be to increase temperature but would like to hear what others suggest?

Thanks!

Mika
JoeJ

Re: Surface problems - what to adjust?

what printer are you using? what settings are you using?
tonyno

I'm also chasing that kind of issue from time to time, and, I'm pretty sure that the holes are at the start of a perimeter. Maybe some Extra Restart Distance?
jimc

All that is contrilled with coasting and restart distance. Coast controls the end of the line and restart controls the beginning. Too much coast and it will stop extruding before the end causing a hole. Too much neg restart and it will start extruding after it begins the line causing a hole. A blob is usually formed at the start of a line. Its all about starting and stopping the extrusion at the right time for the filament you are using.
MikaMa

Thanks Jim. One question though, where to set the start / end values? Ending must be the 'coast at end' but what about restart? Or is it just the coast setting and just trying how it works? My last print had only one side with five holes and on random layers and in different spots on every layer.
jimc

yes coast is the end. it stops extrusion before the end of the line. restart will affect the start of the line. a neg value will start the line then start extruding and a pos value will start extruding before it begins the line. in my experience most people have problems with a small blob at the start of a line. a very small neg restart value usually takes care of this -.05 to -.1. all these are in the retraction settings on the layer page. always keep coast and restart as close to 0 as possible to get the results you need. too much coast or neg restart will cause a hole.
MikaMa

Thanks Jim. Will do a few test runs. My problems are holes in the walls :/
MikaMa

I got rid of the holes with Jims tips when printing a square calibration piece. Then I printed a small filament clip and it has gaps especially one seam is full of them.. This is frustrating
jimc

post an fff or a factory file
MikaMa

I've been running about 20 test runs again today recording all the settings on the go to Excel. I've been doing this for some time and have learned a lot. I think I know now what is wrong with the gaps, flow problems ans managed to get a good print. But one thing bothers me is that S3D doesn't make sense as Cura or slic3r does. Some tweaks seem absurd but they work, for example flow should be calculated using filament diameter, extruding widht etc. Then you get the values that are supposed to work. Well those don't work in S3D. You need to try out things untill you find the working settings. Now I have ext. Multiplier over 1 when calculations say it should be well under. Same go for target ext. Widht.. Also top layers are hard to get solid where as theres no problems with them in other slicers. Now I know that adding solid tops is not the answer but the answer was adding extruding multiplier a lot..

Well now I'm getting somewhere but there's something funny with S3D

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”