jeand

Where is it ?

Some parts disappear...

I'm a little bit disappointed by this not free software, not free in money, and not free of bugs...
006.png
007.png
JoeJ

Re: Where is it ?

That's not a bug. If the feature is smaller than the nozzle's extrusion width, than the printer won't print it. That's just how FFF printing works. You need to either decrease your extrusion width, get a smaller nozzle, or design your parts to not have features below the min feature size that your nozzle can create.
tenaja

JoeJ wrote:That's not a bug. If the feature is smaller than the nozzle's extrusion width, than the printer won't print it.
There should be a user-adjustable tolerance for this. If, for instance, you have a .5mm nozzle, and you have a feature that is some size smaller (perhaps .4mm, or .49mm), we should have control over what is and what is not printed.
jeand

JoeJ wrote:That's not a bug. If the feature is smaller than the nozzle's extrusion width, than the printer won't print it.
You're right, it is not a bug, it's just a less performant slicer than Cura.
tenaja wrote:
There should be a user-adjustable tolerance for this. If, for instance, you have a .5mm nozzle, and you have a feature that is some size smaller (perhaps .4mm, or .49mm), we should have control over what is and what is not printed.
Sure. I can modify the generated GCode too and add the 'missing parts' by hand...

This is the piece sliced by Cura and printed by Repeater-Host. Same parameters.
IMG_0513.JPG
TenKOhms

jeand wrote:
You're right, it is not a bug, it's just a less performant slicer than Cura.
I disagree with this. A 3D Printer is meant to print parts/objects/models to the dimensional specifications in the file provided. If you have a wall that is supposed to be .2mm thick, but say a .5mm extrusion width, s3d knows your extrusion width is too thick to ever print that out. If your slicing software prints out a wall taht's supposed to be .2mm at .5mm I would question the reliability of the slicer.

Actually seeing that the wall isn't there is often times a good thing. This let's the prototyper know, this is outside the printable tolerance range of the printer and shoudl be increased if they want an accurate model to be produced instead of running it through a different slicer just to "get the model to print" and ignore dimensional specifications
TopJimmyCooks

Slic3r, Cura Engine and kissSlicer all have fairly regular instances where they do not perform as first expected. I'm sure Matterhackers , skeinforge and R/H do as well although I haven't use them. I've used S3D for a week now, and most instances of something not working I have been able to figure out and correct through settings. Which is more than I can say for slic3r and cura. With them, I often have to change my design or materials to suit their well established limitations.

Not saying S3d is perfect, it's UI is a bit hard to use (ask me for some examples :) ). But it has a very good ability to slice stuff in a clean, intelligent and repeatable way with no bizarre artifacts or hundreds of unnecessary moves, perimeter crossings and gap fills. The great nearly invisible layer changes are worth a lot by themselves.
Makerfarm 8" I3v | Clough42 Itty Bitty Double Extruder | RRD Hexagons | Now with More Simplify3D
jeand

TopJimmyCooks wrote:... snip ...

Not saying S3d is perfect, it's UI is a bit hard to use (ask me for some examples :) ). But it has a very good ability to slice stuff in a clean, intelligent and repeatable way with no bizarre artifacts or hundreds of unnecessary moves, perimeter crossings and gap fills. The great nearly invisible layer changes are worth a lot by themselves.
take a look at my post about print on void. Than we can discuss more about the clean, intelligent and repeatable abilities of s3d
jimc

cura may have printed the missing part but the problem is its not within spec. s3d knows your printer cant properly print the model so it doesnt. cura just went ahead and made your printer put something there thats not right. i personally like that s3d doesnt output out of spec parts this way. when making any model the manufacturing process needs to be taken into account. features under 1mm should usually be avoided. for some models sticking to tight tolerances might not matter but with most of us i think we expect the print to be somewhat dimensionally accurate.
horst.w

There must be another reason for this appearance!

No one FDM-printer is able to print layers in vertical direction. The object in CURA must be turned 90 degree laying on the table.
And for this condition the print ist really bad.

The problem is sitting in front of the printer :lol:

Horst, GER
Rebekah_harper

you could lower the extrusion width and increase the extrusion multiplier to compensate.

S3D uses the extrusion width to determine the printability etc...

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”