garrickk

USB Printing now reports .gcode files incorrect format

Hi,

Simple setup that has been working for two weeks, without change. I added a few new files, and now I keep getting this same error:

Window: Incorrect Format Detected
Message: This machine does not support plaintext .gcode files.

As I said, I haven't updated anything on the system except added some new .gcode files to directory. The old files remain.

Setup:
- FlashForge Creator Pro with latest 7.7 Sailfish
- Dedicated Ubuntu 14.04 PC running almost no software beside Simplify3D
- This FF machine has a flaky SD card connection, hence me dedicating a Linux machine to drive it for now
- I make the .gcode files on a Windows machine, put them on a memory stick, and copy them to this machine. Worked for 2 weeks.
- I have attempt to reprint gcode files that I've been using for 2 weeks, have printed 6+ times, and I still get the same error window
- I have restarted the printer and the PC multiple times

Weird bug. It's like Simplify3D just stopped reading all .gcode files.

Thanks,
Garrick
garrickk

Re: USB Printing now reports .gcode files incorrect format

I have determined that if I generate the gcode file on the Linux machine, it will read it. Very odd that my old files, used previously on this machine, can't be read any more.

For now, I can just regenerate locally, but that is a pain. I was hoping to just use a synchronized Google Drive folder, etc.

Thanks,
Garrick
JoeJ

You know that you can't send .gcode files to a FlashForge Creator Pro, right? Sounds like the software is being nice and warning you about this mistake ;)

You can only send .x3g files to the Creator Pro. If you are using S3D's built-in profile for the Creator Pro, when you click "Save to Disk", the software should export both an .x3g and a .gcode file. The .x3g file is what you send to the printer.
garrickk

JoeJ wrote:You know that you can't send .gcode files to a FlashForge Creator Pro, right? Sounds like the software is being nice and warning you about this mistake ;)

You can only send .x3g files to the Creator Pro. If you are using S3D's built-in profile for the Creator Pro, when you click "Save to Disk", the software should export both an .x3g and a .gcode file. The .x3g file is what you send to the printer.
Hi Joe.

I believed this to be the case, and of course, I only put .x3g files on my SD cards. I have two Creator Pro's that have been spitting things out almost 24 hours a day for the past few months. Small batch of prototype enclosure builds.

That said, since one of my printers developed a communication issue to the SD card (it would just halt a build randomly), and all efforts to fix it failed (all suggestions on FF Google Groups forum attempted, and yes, pristine SD cards newly formatted, that work in other printer), I went to having it driven by a dedicated Linux machine.

The .x3g files do not work for me. I'm not joking. The .gcode files print flawlessly. Not had one error. I just completed a 27 hours print, and it was perfect. I just have to build the files locally for some reason. So, I'm using the .x3g files on SD cards, .gcode files when driving from Simplify3D via USB. I've even deleted all the .x3g files off the machine. I should stop generating them.

I have the very latest Sailfish 7.7 firmware on both.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”