jwgleaf90

Printing before Extruder reaches temp

Hey all,

I am fairly new at this. I can print objects with the right extruder just fine. I had some issues with the left extruder. I had to disassemble and clean a clog. After doing this a few times i found the cause... The left extruder begins to print before the temperature heats (230). This tells me it must be a problem with the settings in S3D. After doing a little research, I found a checkbox that states "Wait for temperature controller to stabilize before beginning build". I was satisfied that I solved the problem. In addition, I made the first layer print at 240 and the second 230. After I reloaded the program, I noticed the heating started earlier, but still not early enough. The first few inches began extruding around 200 and does not adhere. Is there something I am missing? Also, Why would you ever want that check box unchecked?

Thanks,

Jason
JoeJ

Re: Printing before Extruder reaches temp

Many people preheat their machines manually, so they don't want all of the automated temperature stabilization turned on.

But back to your issue, you didn't mention what type of machine you have. Is it a MakerBot-clone? In that case, you actually don't need the "stabilize at startup" option enabled, since those commands are already present in the starting script. The firmware has the ability to override the temperatures that the software requests, so most likely that is what's going on here. The print is beginning early because the firmware is overriding the temperatures.
jwgleaf90

Hey Joey,

Thanks for the reply. I have a Flash Forge Creator Pro. This may be a dumb question... but, how do I either (A) make the firmware listen to the software. or (B) adjust the firmware settings to make sure the printer reaches 230? Lastly, would this change enable me to preheat the extruders and build plate at once? Again, Thank you for your time!

- Jason
JoeJ

Read this (section 4.3.2): http://www.makerbot.com/sailfish/#toc432

And no, that's not going to change the order that your extruders and bed heat. That's determined by your starting script. However, be warned that heating everything at the same time could damage your power supply. Read more here: http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2116

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”