bdurham12

Extruder not heating up

I have a Creator Pro and when i send a print job using Simplify3D it will heat the bed but not the extruder. All the settings look to be correct. It was working better when I first installed it meaning it would send the temp and has gotten worse over the last couple of days to the point it it never works now. I don't have this problem with RepG. I'm using Windows 8 if that helps.

Bill
JoeJ

Re: Extruder not heating up

Well if it was working better when you first installed it, it sounds like you may have accidentally changed a setting. I would suggest going to help --> reset all settings, and then when you restart the software select the FF Creator Pro from the drop down list. This will make sure that you are using those same settings that you were when you first installed the software.

For reference - my FF Creator Pro heats up just fine with the stock settings. Never had any issues with that.
smeadors

I had this problem too. Turns out on later Flashforge models the g-code start up script has the bed heat up first, then the extruder once the bed is finished.

Look for this in your Starting G-Code to confirm that's what's happening

Code: Select all

M140 S[bed0_temperature] T0
M134 T0 ; stabilize bed temperature
M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
M133 T0 ; stabilize extruder temperature
magicwiser

The same thing happend to me a few weeks ago with my Creator Pro. No matter what I did the extruder would not heat up. When I tried to preheat it, the panel said it was at 230 deg C even though it was cold to the touch. After lots of frustration and some help from others I found the problem was a loose connection with some wires. After I gently pushed them back, everything worked fine. If you think this is the problem with yours as well, I'd be happy to send you more detailed instructions on how to fix it.
jasonnunley

Did you ever find the solution? Was it the code? I think that is the issue I am having at the moment. Test files that came with the machine run flawless, but from simplify 3d the extruders aren't heating.

Thanks,
dmsmith

I would also be very interested if a solution has been found to this problem - I have just recently purchased both FFF and S3D after excellent feedback on various forums but the lack of preheating of the extruder is frustrating with the only work around to preheat through the FFF prior to sending the file over FlashPrint via. Wi-Fi.
dmsmith

dmsmith wrote:I would also be very interested if a solution has been found to this problem - I have just recently purchased both FFF and S3D after excellent feedback on various forums but the lack of preheating of the extruder is frustrating with the only work around to preheat through the FFF prior to sending the file over FlashPrint via. Wi-Fi.
I have since discovered the source of the problem however, I have no idea the reasoning behind it. I tried and tested removing different lines of G Code from the print file however, only one piece of the G Code caused the extruder to not heat up prior to printing... what makes it even stranger is that piece of G Code is a comment, and not part of the actual routine. You should try removing the following piece of information in italic bold below (note: only remove this from the comments section at the beginning of the file as it appears twice in the G Code routine - it is required at the end if the routine so don't delete that) and you'll see the extruder starts to heat up as expected prior to print: -

; endingGcode,M104 S0 T0 ; cool down extruder,G1 Z140 F3300 ; send Z axis to bottom of machine,M107 ; disable cooling fan,G28 X0 Y0 ; home XY axes,M146 r0 g0 b0 ; Turn lights off,M18 ; disable stepper

If anyone can explain the reasoning behind this it would be much appreciated as it is a pain to go into every G Code file to delete that single piece of information prior to each print.
Paul Green

I have the exact same problem on my Prusa i3 MK2S. When printing a file with SF3D it does not set the nozzle temperature. Thought it is a problem with the Prusa firmware but I only have this issue when producing GCode with SF3D.
brian442

dmsmith wrote:If anyone can explain the reasoning behind this it would be much appreciated as it is a pain to go into every G Code file to delete that single piece of information prior to each print.
That sounds like a bug in the firmware to me. It shouldn't process commands that are commented out. In fact, I'm pretty sure those don't even get sent to the printer when printing over USB (were you having this problem with USB or from the SD card?)

If you're still having trouble, it would be helpful if you posted one gcode file that heats the extruders correctly, and another one that does not. That should make it easy to compare the temperature commands.
dmsmith

brian442 wrote:
dmsmith wrote:If anyone can explain the reasoning behind this it would be much appreciated as it is a pain to go into every G Code file to delete that single piece of information prior to each print.
That sounds like a bug in the firmware to me. It shouldn't process commands that are commented out. In fact, I'm pretty sure those don't even get sent to the printer when printing over USB (were you having this problem with USB or from the SD card?)

If you're still having trouble, it would be helpful if you posted one gcode file that heats the extruders correctly, and another one that does not. That should make it easy to compare the temperature commands.
I managed to find the issue (see my post further up). I can have two files containing the exact same code but one with the commented command in and one with it omitted, and the one with it omitted works flawlessly every time. I haven't tried to send the file over USB as I've only used WiFi (SD Card option in S3D then sent over WiFi via FlashPrint) to date but will try this however I don't expect any different results - I could be wrong and will update you once I have tried. It's definitely a head scratcher!

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”