Techbuilder

Can't connect to Solidoodle 3

I purchased Simplify 3d and I haven't been able to connect with my solidoodle 3.

I've used the same settings on Repetier-Host which works fine there but not on Simplify 3d.

Here's what I've tried

matching the buad settings

resting the printer board controller

made sure no software was communicating with com3 which it is on aside from Simplify 3d.

I'm really running out of ideas here :(
Clayton

Re: Can't connect to Solidoodle 3

The post right below yours had a suggestion that might help. Just disable the "Wait for startup command" option.

http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.p ... =267#p1202
Techbuilder

I'll give that a try and post my findings
thanks for the advice hopefully it will work :idea:
Techbuilder

So that got it to connect!!

but now when it runs it goes so slow?

is there away to configure the steps per mm in this software like in repetier host?
dalew8abz
Location: Cleveland Heights, Ohio USA (4 mi. from MakerGear HQ!)

Techbuilder,

If it's going REALLY slow, you probably copied your mm/sec values from your other software. Everything in Creator is in mm/min, so multiply by 60.

Here are the places where you set up speeds:

When you add your "Process" (FFF), double-click that to open up the FFF Settings window. The main printing speed (again, mm/min, not mm/sec!!!) is on the "Other" tab. A typical value for the M2 is 4800 mm/min (80 mm/sec). Also here you find the X/Y movement (fast move with no extrusion) speed (M2 typ. is 12000 mm/min (200 mm/sec)), and the Z move speed (lift, between layers, M2 = 1200 mm/min or 20 mm/sec). Extruder retraction speed is on the Extruder tab (M2 = 1000 mm/min).

The stuff in the Firmware Configuration and General Configuration under the Tools menu is the G-code commands used for various functions and stuff like the build envelope size. Nothing here on speeds. It's all in FFF setup. And all the other speeds are in percent of the above (like first layer speed, that sort of stuff).

Oh, one more thing: (I hope I'm correct on this!!!) I believe all the G-code values are in length and time units (mm, etc.), not steps. Everything to do with "steps" (converting mm to steps) is done in the firmware, not in Creator. You build the firmware with the steps/mm for each axis as a parameter, so the printer itself "knows" how many steps or steps/sec to move when you give it a distance or speed.

Hope this helps!
Dale

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”