jschneider89

LulzBot TAZ 4 Dual Extruder - Offset Not Registering

Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:52 pm

My 2nd extruder is supposed to have a -52.00mm y-axis offset, just like I have it in Slic3r. However, changing the value in S3D does not seem to make a damned bit of difference when it generates g-code. I have tried offsets of -52mm, 0mm, and 52mm, but it does not change the position of the 2nd extruder extrusion at all. It ends up being 52mm away from where it's supposed to be in the y-axis.

Thoughts on how to correct this?

JoeJ

Re: LulzBot TAZ 4 Dual Extruder - Offset Not Registering

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:26 am

In pretty much all cases, you really should be setting up your toolhead offsets in the firmware. That is going to be much easier than trying to make all the software programs essentially fix your incorrect firmware offsets. So first, I would try setting the toolhead offsets in your firmware.

If you absolutely can't do that, then you can tell S3D to fix the issue for you (but again I wouldn't recommend this). Just enable the checkbox on the G-Code tab that says "apply toolhead offsets to gcode coordinates"

colbyparsons

Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:04 pm

Could someone explain this more? I have been having trouble finding information on dual extruder offsets. I have a Creatorbot-3D with dual extruders and they say that their firmware has the offset built in. From what I have been able to determine, they are right, but I still get things printing with the colors in two different places. What is the downside to telling Simplify3d to apply toolhead coordinates to gcode offsets?

CompoundCarl

Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:06 am

colbyparsons wrote:From what I have been able to determine, they are right, but I still get things printing with the colors in two different places.
If the toolheads don't line up when doing dual color printing, then the toolhead offsets in the firmware are incorrect! You can tell the software to do this, but it should really be done in the firmware. Using the software for toolhead offsets is just a workaround. When you do it in the software, it actually offsets all of the raw gcode coordinates in the file, so the preview will look weird. It's much better to do it in the firmware. I have no idea why the manufacturer wouldn't do this to begin with...??

If you really need to do it in the software, then just set the toolhead offsets on the G-Code tab. Usually Tool 0 has offset (0,0) and Tool 1 has offset (20,0) or whatever distance apart your nozzles are in the X-axis. Then on that same tab, enable the option called "Apply toolhead offsets to G-Code coordinates". But again, this is a workaround and not ideal. It should really be done in the firmware.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”