marcnotenboom

Re: Thin walls

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:28 am

I am not an engineer but manage to make complex 3D designs with all kind of software. As my skills are not perfect I sometimes get very thin walls. I just bought S3D to get better prints. But it seems cannot print most of my designs with S3D so I go back to Repetier to be able to get my print. This seems a big bummer. Changing the nozzle size doesn't give me printable results. I would like a "NOOB" button that says something like "adjust walls to nozzle size".

KeyboardWarrior

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:34 am

marcnotenboom wrote:I am not an engineer but manage to make complex 3D designs with all kind of software. As my skills are not perfect I sometimes get very thin walls. I just bought S3D to get better prints. But it seems cannot print most of my designs with S3D so I go back to Repetier to be able to get my print. This seems a big bummer. Changing the nozzle size doesn't give me printable results. I would like a "NOOB" button that says something like "adjust walls to nozzle size".
There's other settings like Minimum Infill Length, Outline Overlap and Gap Fill that can all help with this. If there's a particular factory file you have questions about, posting a factory file would be very helpful.

Snerkles

Holes in project not big enough

Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:12 pm

I'm fairly new to 3d printing but have made a few things. Any way, I have made a project that has rectangular holes in it. The project comes out the size that I have specified but the holes are coming out smaller. What am I doing wrong and what can I do to fix this? Also, when I have checked the "Identify non-manifold edges' and 'identify self intersecting surfaces' everything comes out right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CompoundCarl

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:32 am

Go to Other tab and set the "horizontal size compensation" to -0.1mm. That will make all your holes bigger.

Read more about it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2042

wfcook

Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:05 am

What is needed is for the software to handle dynamic extrusion widths to fill gaps properly in thin walls. Greater control of extrusion widths for various features (i.e. outermost perimeter vs inner perimeters, etc.) plus a dynamic gap fill width would be very useful.

dkightley

Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am

What is needed is for the software to handle dynamic extrusion widths to fill gaps properly in thin walls. Greater control of extrusion widths for various features (i.e. outermost perimeter vs inner perimeters, etc.) plus a dynamic gap fill width would be very useful.
Which is exactly what this thread in the Feature Request section is all about:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3471
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

loftonharris

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:30 pm

To some folks, the glass is half empty. To others, the glass is half full.

To an engineer, the glass is TOO BIG!

But you guys (and gals, of course) already know this...

MasterFX

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:41 pm

CompoundCarl wrote:Go to Other tab and set the "horizontal size compensation" to -0.1mm. That will make all your holes bigger.

Read more about it here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2042
Of cause this is a nice feature. But I think the Slicer does something wrong.
All models which I've printed have a perfect outer measurement ( < .1mm deviation) but the holes, no matter if they are round or rectangular, were about 0.2-0.3mm smaller. This is the same issue all other slicers have. A hole somewhere in the model is always smaller. It is like the slicer don't consider the width of the extruded trace in the inner outlines. A hole with 3mm diameter gets 2.8mm, a hole with 15mm gets 14.8mm. Of cause the horizontal size compensation can correct this, but I think it is the wrong way to correct this issue.
I want to design models as I need them and the slicer has to consider what the real diameter after print would look like

kresty

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:38 am

There should be a button to say "don't disappear walls even if they're too fat". Sure that doesn't work for everything, but it does help for other things :)

dkightley

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:50 am

Se my post three entries up.......and the thread it links to.

Nobody's disagreeing with you.
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”