Sinus

Brim and Ooze Shield

Hi,
if i use Skirt / Brim with an Skirt offset from Part = 0.1 and 8 Outlines the Brim works fine. Now i want to have a Ooze shield too. The problem is now, the brim is now at the shield and not at my model. Iit possible do get brim on model and brim?

Regards Joerg
DarthRevan

Re: Brim and Ooze Shield

I've not found a way to do brim on the model while using an ooze shield. You can use a raft. :?
KC_703

Raft would probably be the only way to attach the brim to the project rather than the ooze shield. Do you require the brim for anchoring the project to the bed? If not, then maybe a smaller ooze shield offset...

Or if you need the brim to create better adhesion of the project, lower the nozzle through the Z-Offset G-code setting... maybe a -.1 or -.2 value to help adhesion. There are additional strategies for better adhesion... try first layer settings (increase extrusion), no cooling, etc.
Rebekah_harper

Under layer you can do a lower height by % if it's an adhesion problem.
Sinus

Sorry the only thing i found, is the % for the first Layer. But this didn't help.
If i want to use Brim, i think brim shoud on the model and not on the shield.

Sinus
KC_703

First layer % and the z-code offset are different settings which I think have different results.

I'm not in front of my computer, but I believe it's the G-code tab that has the Z-offset. This will lower your hotend after its homed. The nozzle will be closer to the bed, therefore increasing the "squash"... Which will help with adhesion of the project. I think the difference is that there is no change to filament extrusion characteristics to achieve the fatter, oval first layer.

Again, I think the first layer % and the Z-offset are different... But could be wrong. From experience, I've had much better luck increasing adhesion through the Z-offset. Use .05-.1 increments.

Regardless, it would be nice to have the brim attached to the print and not the ooze shield.
gearsawe

Yes this is an old topic and still a bug!
I am using the ooze shield as a draft shield to help contain the heat around a part. But cant have a shield and brim the model still!

turning on ooze shield and brim forces the brim to the outside of the model.

I have even tried to make 2 processes.
1. with 0 top/bottom layer 0 perimeter and 0% infill. Ooze shield on. No Brim
2. anther with 3 top/bottom layers, 2 perimeters and 20% infill. ooze shield off.

result is Model with brim and no ooze shield.

the only work around is make a model as a shied put a small gap at the bottom as a break in the perimeter( the small gap at the bottom allow the brim to also go on inside and around the part). The shield model has single wall extrusions applied.
Then another process for the model itself. This is a very time consuming processes to setup.
SusiT140V

Holy Cr@p!

THREE YEARS and this dumb bug STILL has not been fixed!!

Sorry for being 'all shouty', but I have had two days of nylon prints fail because of this.

Solution - either do what gearsawe suggested, or use Cura.

I have done the latter.

And don't even get me started on the mess they made to 'Save' when they "Fixed" it in 4.01...

I love S3D for its powerful simplicity, but this kind of bug really makes me seethe.
Can you tell?

Toodles, Mo... ;)
marius_tietz

I usually don't uncover 50 years old posts, but I just want to mention, that it is 2023 now and the problem still exists in the most recent version. :D

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”