Wolfie

3.0 now requires internet access?

FAQ:
Does Simplify3D require constant internet access?
No. As before, the software can still be used without internet access. However, you will need to be connected to the internet to retrieve profile and software updates.
I started it once, chose the Taz5 as my printer. Closed it and disconnected the ethernet adaptor (temporary on that machine). I expected it to work just like the old S3D on a non-internet connected machine.

So, why does it ask for a user name and password every time the internet is NOT connected and it reports "Connection Failure" and will not start when it CLEARLY says in the FAQ that it does NOT require internet access.
JoeJ

Re: 3.0 now requires internet access?

It doesn't require constant internet access, same as the previous version. However, you do need internet for the first time you install it and probably for retrieving printer profiles too (read this: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/version-3-0-faqs/)

FYI - you can just click the "x" in the top right of that window if you don't want to login for some reason. It still runs just fine.
Wolfie

The X just closes that login window. Won't run. Never launches the main window.

I ran it once with the internet. Selected taz 5. Let it open main window. Then I moved the PC over to the printer shelf (no internet there) only to find it will not run.

I gave up. I removed it and went back to using the old version which has been working fine.
jimc

The problem is that you disconnected the ethernet adapter. You can disconnect the cable or lose wifi or whatever but the adapter needs to stay installed. I think it uses the adapter to id the computer. Internet access is only required once during first install after that none is required.
dsegel

It definitely does NOT require internet access to run. I run it all the time on my laptop with WiFi turned off or not connected to anything.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”