gui7vaz

Skip some little parts of the model

I'm trying to print this model:

But when I generate the toolpath, the simplify skips some parts.

I have posted this bug one time and nothing was done. I've seen some other users posting this bug too.
When do you intend to fix that?
I'm tired to have to use the makerware...

Thanks.
dewme5

Re: Skip some little parts of the model

Is the wall thickness to narrow. If so, they will be disregarded.
dkightley

There have been a few threads recently documenting the pros and cons of what S3D does in response to thin walls. Some see it as a deficiency....and some see it as tthe correct action.

Do a search if you want to read up on the topic...
Doug Kightley
Volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk
Railway modeller and webmaster at http://www.talkingtgauge.net
Trax

dkightley wrote:There have been a few threads recently documenting the pros and cons of what S3D does in response to thin walls. Some see it as a deficiency....and some see it as tthe correct action.

Do a search if you want to read up on the topic...
Well since there are good arguments for booth solutions, the obvious response is to implement a switch to allow the user to choose the behavior.
KC_703

dewme5 wrote:Is the wall thickness to narrow. If so, they will be disregarded.
I think this may be the case too... the wall is thinner than the extrusion width. As an experiment, try a manual extrusion width set to half the current width.
jimmybuckets

It is a function of just about every CAM software I have ever used. If the tool size it too large then the CAM software won't touch it. You wouldn't want a 1/4" bit cutting out an 1/8" hole. Same thing applies here.
tenaja

jimmybuckets wrote:It is a function of just about every CAM software I have ever used. If the tool size it too large then the CAM software won't touch it. You wouldn't want a 1/4" bit cutting out an 1/8" hole. Same thing applies here.
It really is not quite the same--more like the exact opposite. CAM programs leave the part "material safe" without a workaround. OTOH, S3d leaves the part with no material...and it is not a default, because you have no option to fudge it through S3d.

With CAM, you have several options; mine, for instance, you can tell it your tool is 1/8, even if it is not. That lets you get the job done if there is flexibility to vary the finished part slightly. It also let you leave a negative amount of material on the wall.

So, maybe S3d has a workaround that lets you fudge it...can you tell it the nozzle is undersized, then tell it to do a stepover distance that matches the actual nozzle size? I don't know if that would work or not, but it might be worth trying when the issue presents itself. You'd probably end up with the outer perimeter of the part being the wrong size, though, since telling it the nozzle size is different would effect that outer path.
jimmybuckets

After using a cnc mill long enough I started to design my parts with machining them in mind. I automatically started doing this when 3d printing . I look at it the same as having to grind down a wrench to get it to work for a specific project. It's a tool and there are times when I have to do something a little unconventional to get it to work for me the way I need it to. Part of the fun :)
jimc

Absolutely right jimmy. I know i have said this before but no matter what you design, if its going to be produced in some manner you need to design the model with the manufacturing process in mind. Doesnt matter if its injection molding, cnc, 3d print or whatever. The model needs to be designed for that process. I do think s3d should add the option just to please everyone. Not everyone designs their own stuff either so sometimes there is no choice.
Umpa

+1 for adding a 'just print it' switch, not everyone needs to be purist and have super accurate prints. This 'problem' is a pain in the arse. I find myself needing to use makerware more & more.

Return to “Troubleshooting and Bug Reports”